• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan A

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
    As Dale Carnegie say's, research has proven that any job is really 85% people skills and 15% technical knowledge.
    Pardon me if I doubt that Carnegie said that research has proven etc. In fact I doubt that research has proven that (etc): ISTM that using specific figures like 85% and 15% pretends to a level of precision and knowledge far above the real level of knowledge on the subject. Possibly far above the amount of real meaning in the assertion.

The phrase "people skills" in particular is a modern invention, and a retrospective one, by which I mean that you wouldn't recognise and measure "people skills" in someone, rather you'd see that they had succeeded so you'd say that they must have people skills.

So yeah sure, you will be able to do most jobs better if you put some effort into relationships with people you deal with. Failing that, you can always succeed financially while trashing the actual job, by showing the right "people skills" towards the people who can make that happen.

Many of us (myself included) would like to think that earnings are some useful sort of measurement of success, but actually earnings are only a measure of how much someone is prepared to pay you. If that's all one means by success, there's not much meaning to it. Doing a good job, and getting well paid, are not closely correlated. Not at all.
    Last edited by expat; 4 August 2009, 09:20.

Comment

xkcd

Comment

.... Doing a good job does not necessarily get you paid well, and someone being paid well is not necessarily a sign that they are dong a good job. Not at all.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          .... Doing a good job does not necessarily get you paid well, and someone being paid well is not necessarily a sign that they are dong a good job. Not at all.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Ding dong.

Comment

reading further than the headlines as i sometimes do, it appears that this is top line and expenses (doctors expenses scandal on the way methinks) and staff costs takes it down to £85K

Its binmen getting £18k that pisses me off

Comment

So they Daily Mail have found one GP in Britain that earns 380. I can personally think of about a dozen people that I have met in IT that earn that and yet some people think they should go to Medicine for the money.

No wonder Indians find it easy to compete with the IT labour market judging by the level of stupidity shown on here.

Comment

Working...
                X