• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jobserve application hit rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Well I tend to have quite a high interview rate per application. But even so it's scary how few relevant contracts are being posted.

I've toyed with the idea of boning up on C++. But from past discussions here it appears one could never hope to compete with people who have used it for donkey's years (although it could still be a useful adjunct to some other primary skill).

python I won't to touch on principle, due to its retrograde step of using text alignment to indicate logic.

Probably Java would be the most beneficial otherwise, assuming that is gaining market share at the expense of C++.
    People who bluff their way through as if they have used it for donkey's years

Download a copy of mingw and have a play, you'll be surpised how quickly the rust falls off. If you get stuck PM me or post in technical so I can make a pratt of myself (worse than when I put this shoddy poll together )
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      Applied for about 6 jobserve roles zero response on any. 2 gigs this year niether from jobserve. I answered less than 200 but that has probably skewed the results a bit
      The poll is a bit skewed anyway.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I've played he Jobserve / CW Jobs Application game more as a channel to get direct access to Agents dealing with target sectors / companies. I have never, ever got a contract directly as advertised on any of these sites. I get mine by targeting companies I know I'll appeal to and then making myself known to the agents that deal with them.

I hear people talk of applying for 'hundreds' of contract roles but can't believe anyone could be suited to so many roles. People must just be applying for anything which is, IMHO, just a waste of time and effort.
        Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Tally so far

Off work for 5 weeks now.

Applied for more than 200 roles.
          Had 3 HR phone interviews, 1 of which is going to a face to face this week.
          Been asked to ring up a further company HR manager which I'll do today (plus another 1 just in the last 5 minutes).

The 1 face to face interview is for a job which, on paper, looks almost identical to that which I've recently completed but with a longer commute and less money.

In my last role, I felt that I'd broadened my skillset considerably, but it's almost exclusively my core skills/last industry sector which are garnering any interest. If I'd just stuck to applying for jobs with my core skillset/last industry sector, I reckon my applications would have been <15. If I'd stuck to my core skillset, it would have been <5.
          Last edited by mace; 3 August 2009, 13:14.

Comment

I got my job in Britian from an agency here in India. It was very easy but I suspect that it was because I am a security expert and there is a skills gap for experts in security in Britian.

Comment

Originally posted by chetty View Post
              I got my job in Britian from an agency here in India. It was very easy but I suspect that it was because I am a security expert and there is a skills gap for experts in security in Britian.

However, you need to practice your level of English; it is spoiling the effect.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Pitiable attempt really. Just give up it aint going to work
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Oh really? Please let me know where you purchased your security qualifications as I'd like some for myself, what with the job market being so tough.
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Pitiable attempt really. Just give up it aint going to work
                    I think it's a double bluff
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                      I've clicked up 48 applications since looking last thursday.
                      You've seen 48 jobs relevant to you in 5 days?!!

So you have 10 relevant jobs every day for your skill set?

Bloody hell - I have about 1 per week if I'm lucky!
                      The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                      X