• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

McKinnon to be extradited

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He broke the law, he should be tried is the USA and if guilty sentenced to prison. Or can I rob some bank in USA and claim I have aspergers and will kill myself if extradited?

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl View Post
      will kill myself
      When you're ready.

I was going to put up a poll yesterday after your 'apology' to the effect of "How long before Diestl cracks?". I clearly left it a few hours too long.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

He broke the law, he should be tried is the USA and if guilty sentenced to prison. Or can I rob some bank in USA and claim I have aspergers and will kill myself if extradited?
        To be precise - he broke the law of this country, whilst living in this country. He has already asked to be tried in this country. Why should he be tried outside this country?

If you robbed an American bank in this country, you would be tried in this country. If you robbed an American bank in America, you would be tried in America.

It sets a VERY dangerous precedent - if someone hacks into an Iranian system from the UK, will we be in such a rush to extradite them to Iran? Of course not - this is just dealing with our partners in peace
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          To be precise - he broke the law of this country, whilst living in this country. He has already asked to be tried in this country. Why should he be tried outside this country?

If you robbed an American bank in this country, you would be tried in this country. If you robbed an American bank in America, you would be tried in America.

It sets a VERY dangerous precedent - if someone hacks into an Iranian system from the UK, will we be in such a rush to extradite them to Iran? Of course not - this is just dealing with our partners in peace
          He hacked USA private networks which clearly is a crime in the USA. I hope they make an example of him, send out a message that hacking private networks is a criminal offence. If you cant do the time, don't do the crime.

Comment

He hacked USA private networks which clearly is a crime in the USA. I hope they make an example of him, send out a message that hacking private networks is a criminal offence. If you cant do the time, don't do the crime.
            It's also a crime in this country, so why is he not being tried where the crime took place?

Of course, there is the relatively minor point that he stands absolutely no chance of a fair trial, given its location. But why should that bother anyone?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Of course, there is the relatively minor point that he stands absolutely no chance of a fair trial, given its location. But why should that bother anyone?
              Why would the trial be "unfair" ?

He's largely admitted doing it, so how can it be "unfair" if he's convicted.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post

Dullard.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

There is no way that he is going to get a balanced, unbiased jury in that state.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

There is no way that he is going to get a balanced, unbiased jury in that state.
                    Even if that were the case (and I don't believe it to be), juries decide guilt or innocence - and he's largely admitted commiting the act(s), so even if he is convicted, it's a stretch to call it an unfair outcome unless new facts come to light. Unwelcome certainly for the McKinnon's, but hardly unfair.

The main issue is the severity of the sentance - and the US version of this crime caries a much more severe penalty.

I agree that the 60 years he is facing is very harsh, but a harsh penalty isn't an unfair one if it is applied consistently.

Comment

I agree that the 60 years he is facing is very harsh, but a harsh penalty isn't an unfair one if it is applied consistently.
                      What jabberwocky are you telling us?

If we started shooting people for parking on disabled spaces it would not be harsh if we made sure it was done to everyone?

No wonder we have idiots running this country if we have idiots voting.

Jesus wept.

Comment

Working...
                      X