• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Turning down a contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmmm sounds like a bit of a dilemma

has anyone ever turned round to a project sponsor and effectively laid the project back at their door based on the fact that they are trying to do something on the cheap and ultimately it is going to fail.

Comment

on topic - sorry nothing to say!

off-topic - Moscow analysis - I had to look that up - thanks - you have put a name to what I have been doing all these years!
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        hmmm sounds like a bit of a dilemma

has anyone ever turned round to a project sponsor and effectively laid the project back at their door based on the fact that they are trying to do something on the cheap and ultimately it is going to fail.
        Wasn't that in the business case risk analysis - what was the mitigation?
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Wasn't that in the business case risk analysis - what was the mitigation?
          I would imagine so - but it would seem this project has been through a number of PM's looking at what mitch wrote.

And besides if big boss says he wants it how many butt lickers will do their best to try and deliver it without going through the correct process?

there will also be people out their who will not question the big cheese so if he/she says it can be done for 2 and sixpence no one will actual wave the "Probably it can't be done for 2 and sixpence' flag

so PM get sacked/moved internally for not being able to deliver - contract PM comes in sees it is a crock of tulip flags all the issues and no doubt shortly afterwards contract PM leaves - next contract PM comes in probably gets warned about actually doing the job properly so keeps mouth shut but fails to deliver!

and so it goes on!!!!

Comment

Update; have been asked to go for 2nd interview on monday, this time with the 'Program Manager'; 2 candidates left. Never had 2 interviews before as a contractor.

Pimp says that the Program Manager is completely the opposite character to the Project Manager and is very calm and collected; we shall see.

I suppose it's a chance to earn a big wedge of money in a fairly short time, and the worst thing that can happen is that the project goes completely wrong, as I expect, and they chuck me out AFTER I've earnt a pile of cash.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

It can't hurt to go for the interview MTT? Choose a different suit
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                It can't hurt to go for the interview MTT? Choose a different suit
                Actually for the first interview I wore the same suit and tie as last week but a brand new white shirt instead of light blue. Hmmm...shall change the tie next week.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Actually for the first interview I wore the same suit and tie as last week but a brand new white shirt instead of light blue. Hmmm...shall change the tie next week.
                  Musical tie (Don Giovanni, perhaps)?
                  Joking apart, I'm sure you'll get a better idea of the project (and it's a day out)

Have you finished that case of wine yet?
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                  X