• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To Move or Not to Move

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't comment on the rights and wrongs of moving at this time, but on the school issue:

Depends on where you live - urban or rural.

If urban then you will need to get into catchment of chosen primary school, and this is still not guaranteed - check the school admissions policy carefully - usually found on school website.

If rural then slightly greyer. We chose not to send our eldest to the locl primary (even though it was the 'best' on results) as it was very large and has an issue with bullying. We chose to send him to a local village primary - best decision we made, he's really enjoying it whereas other kids that went to the large 'good' primary are thinking of changing.

Another issue will be secondary schools. Catchment is more important then primary I think. Check them out as well as you will be thinking of moving again when its time to enroll your little one.

Good luck with your choice.
    Beer
    is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      because you outlined them in a previous post

good memory.

Comment

When it comes to house moves/mortgages, don't expect sensible advise on this BB. Do what’s best for the family, you are not buying a second property to let or invest in, you are buying it to live in, so totally different!!
        Also you never know, you may get another contract before you even sell your present house.

Comment

Originally posted by MrNoMotivation View Post
          good memory.
          not really, I just thought you were me for a minute

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

not really, I just thought you were me for a minute

To be honest I don't want to re-train. Happy doing Access/Excel VBA + SQL Server. Seems like pretty good skills to me.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
              Move. You can speculate about the financial ups and downs till the cows come home but you have compelling lifestyle reasons for moving. And once you've finished your contract you can be a full-time negotiator, so you should be able to get a cracking deal on your next house.
              +1
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
                When it comes to house moves/mortgages, don't expect sensible advise on this BB. Do what’s best for the family, you are not buying a second property to let or invest in, you are buying it to live in, so totally different!!
                Also you never know, you may get another contract before you even sell your present house.

Also have a war chest for around 2/3 yrs. Wife said if push came to shove she'd go back to teaching and I could look after the kids. Parents also loaded if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by MrNoMotivation View Post
                  Also have a war chest for around 2/3 yrs. Wife said if push came to shove she'd go back to teaching and I could look after the kids. Parents also loaded if necessary.
                  That would never have happened under the Tories.

Comment

Originally posted by Coalman View Post
                    Can't comment on the rights and wrongs of moving at this time, but on the school issue:

Depends on where you live - urban or rural.

If urban then you will need to get into catchment of chosen primary school, and this is still not guaranteed - check the school admissions policy carefully - usually found on school website.

If rural then slightly greyer. We chose not to send our eldest to the locl primary (even though it was the 'best' on results) as it was very large and has an issue with bullying. We chose to send him to a local village primary - best decision we made, he's really enjoying it whereas other kids that went to the large 'good' primary are thinking of changing.

Another issue will be secondary schools. Catchment is more important then primary I think. Check them out as well as you will be thinking of moving again when its time to enroll your little one.

Good luck with your choice.
                    currently living in Selsdon but won't to move to sanderstead. A couple of nice village primary schools. Only 2 miles away from where I live now.

Comment

you are at the crossroads of your life mate.

good luck

WHS plus

I am thinking of moving away from this armpit of England. I'm going because my family needs the sacrifice no matter what it costs.
                      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                      X