• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fookin knackered

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I hope you didn't 'treat' yourself to a Big Mac and a milkshake/beer because you 'deserved it'.

Many a fitness regime has been scuppered by post-workout binges.

But I'm sure you didn't fall for it...
    Rumbled.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I do about 40 lengths at a time with a mixture of strokes but I prefer breast as it's the easiest, front crawl may be more efficient but I get knackered quickly as the breathing is difficult to master.

If you want to challenge yourself start practicing tumble turns, they're quite easy with a nose clip but that hampers your breathing with breast stroke.

One way nose valves would be good, does anything like that exist?
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        In the eternal battle against weight I went for a swim tonight. I managed so slog out 800m breast stroke (girly stroke) and feel fookin knackered, but also chuffing hungry. Does anyone else swim like an old dolphin with missing fins can share my pain? Will ache tomorra.
        Why not try interval training? Warm up for 5 minutes then do one or two fast lengths at a time with any stroke you like and as fast as you possibly can so you're a bit out of breath each time; take a rest of a couple of minutes after each pair of lengths. Aim for 20 lengths total. At the end of your swimming session you'll have swum further, burned more calories, trained your cardio-respiratory system and your heart rate and oxygen use will remain a little higher than normal all night, thus burning up more fat; eat a good meal afterwards and you'll find that your body uses the food to build muscle mass, thus leading to more fat burning.

The principle is called HIIT (high intensity interval training) and it's worked better for a lot of people looking to slim down than long slow exercise.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Why not try interval training? Warm up for 5 minutes then do one or two fast lengths at a time with any stroke you like and as fast as you possibly can so you're a bit out of breath each time; take a rest of a couple of minutes after each pair of lengths. Aim for 20 lengths total. At the end of your swimming session you'll have swum further, burned more calories, trained your cardio-respiratory system and your heart rate and oxygen use will remain a little higher than normal all night, thus burning up more fat; eat a good meal afterwards and you'll find that your body uses the food to build muscle mass, thus leading to more fat burning.

The principle is called HIIT (high intensity interval training) and it's worked better for a lot of people looking to slim down than long slow exercise.
          few beers
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

few beers
            Yep, that's often the problem.

Comment

Driving to the gym or swimming pool in your air-conditioned V8 appears not to make sense if fitness is truly the desired goal. I sometimes cycle to the gym and am already knackered by the time I get there. Dodging traffic and grabbing a motorist by the throat on the way can also raise the pulse rate somewhat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                too few beers
                Yep, that's often the problem.
                Fixed that for you both.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Started out with my doc telling me I had 'Impaired Glucose Tolerance' which is apparently one step away from Diabetes

Basically she said I was a lard arse..........and that unless I wanted Diabetes I had to exercise, diet and not drink

Now running (5k per night - Mon to Fri) and swimming (once per weekend). Weight is falling off, feel good, family are even joining in....(is there never a moments peace?)

Comment

Originally posted by premiere View Post
                    Started out with my doc telling me I had 'Impaired Glucose Tolerance' which is apparently one step away from Diabetes

Basically she said I was a lard arse..........and that unless I wanted Diabetes I had to exercise, diet and not drink

Now running (5k per night - Mon to Fri) and swimming (once per weekend). Weight is falling off, feel good, family are even joining in....(is there never a moments peace?)

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

If you want to challenge yourself start practicing tumble turns, they're quite easy with a nose clip but that hampers your breathing with breast stroke.

One way nose valves would be good, does anything like that exist?
                      Go careful with tumble turns - did my back in week before last!
                      Beer
                      is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
                      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                      X