• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

discussing rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    Gone up in the world, Alf? I thought you were on a fiver flat rate.
    Now then now then LB, jealousy will get you everywhere me duck.

Comment

Originally posted by Bovvered
      Worry about your own rate and not that of others. You will always be earning more than the person on your right, and less than the person on your left; live with it.

Compete with yourself, if you wanna rise at the next extension say to the agency the job I do is worth X, and that's what I want. Don't make it about other people.
      I'm currently recruiting a team (well two) to work under my direction, strange thing is everybody I look at is asking a higher rate than I'm on - Yes that does take into account the pimps portion.

Perhaps I should put the spec for my job out for offer, then apply for it

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
        Now then now then LB, jealousy will get you everywhere me duck.
        You know me, Alf. Everyone's grass is greener than mine.

Comment

Dont do it.
          It will back fire.
          Although Deep down most people want to know you are getting the same but if you find out they get more you will only depress yourself and it will lead to resentment.
          its better not to know. You should know your worth and be happy to accept a rate you think is fair for the role. its all down to how good a negoiateor you are really.

from experience I found that one particular junior position was paying almost the same as a senior and then found out that he was a friend of the PM for the project who had upped his rate not to fit ability. to me this is very unethical and unprofessional thing to do ... but it happens. It pisses you off so it was better not to have known. the person in question was not renewed in the end due to his own lack of performance/incompetence

Comment

Personally I don't care if the people around me doing the same job get more or less than I.

All I am interested in, is that I am on a rate that I wanted. If the guy/gal next to me is on loads more, then good luck to'em, but if they're on a quid an hour, then tough luck on'em as it's not my problem.

I know my worth (about 50p) and I am happy with that. Ok, Ok, my worth is slightly more than 50p...probably about 51p.

Comment

Working...
            X