• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Talking of teachers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Mrs has been a teacher for nearly 8 years now (I've only known her for 6). She's now Head of PE at an all-girls secondary, but used to teach PE & Maths at a middle class mixed comp.

She did a full teaching degree but PGCE is equally valid to get a job.

FWIW & IMHO, there is nothing as demanding as being a teacher during term time - most good teachers actually care about the kids they are teaching and consequently put the hours in to get the work done. We leave the house at 7:45 (it's 20 minute drive to her school) and she rarely gets home before 6pm. When she does get home, she'll often have work to do. A lot of this is HoD workload, and the extra work she does like fixtures, extra curricular activities (like Gym & Dance displays) or DoE, but I don't remember the workload being any less when she was just a regular teacher.

Report times are a special time of year, as are times when the curriculum changes (requires new schemes of work) - both requiring massive extra workloads. Often, she gets sick in the first week of the holidays as the stress is let off.

All of that said, I don't think she would rather do anything else (except play hockey for England, but i don't think that will happen soon ) - dealing with all of the crap that gets heaped on her is nothing compared to the satisfaction of seeing a light switch on in a kids head because of what she has done.

It's also an excellent job for a wife with kids - it's a very easy job to go back to part-time once you've dropped...
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
      My missus is thinking of jacking in her current career (Recruits into finance) and doing something a bit more kid friendly - teaching.

Specifically maths teaching. Fack knows why, but she likes maths and did a business degree heavy on maths. Only worry is she's no idea if she'll be any good, or indeed enjoy being a teacher to secondary school kids ...

Anyone got experience, 2nd hand or spousal or whatever, can impart any advice, or places for her to go chat about it with people who do?

Cheers.
      D O N ' T D O I T

Comment

Working...
      X