• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Roddick vs Federer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    CyberTwunt Praises Federer Scandal!!!
    CyberTwunt was today quoted as being an out and out supporter of Roger Federer - which came as a huge shock to many people!!!!

CyberTwunt was not approached for clarification so it was assumed that the quote was not misrepresentative in any way!

Tomorrows headline "CyberTwunt - Listens to Someone Elses Opinion!!!!"

Very clever.

Comment

Sooner or later, Cyberman, you'll literally be talking to yourself here.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
        George Best, one of the greatest footballers of all time never won a World Cup and never even competed in one.
        So you agree it is possible to spot talent even if it is never tested against the best?
        I am not a tennis fan, but come on! This is a class act in anybodies book.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
          So you agree it is possible to spot talent even if it is never tested against the best?
          I am not a tennis fan, but come on! This is a class act in anybodies book.

Exactly.... which emphasise my point that people should not go by stats alone. There are always other factors that must be weighed against stats. Tim Henman would never have been a number 4 in the world in the 60's or 70's IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
            That emphasise my point about dirth of talent. Henman reaching number four in the world says it all. Plonker !!
            There has never been more than a small handful of great players at any one time.
            Interesting to see that you use a lot of "if only" in your arguments.

If only there wasnt a "dearth" of brain between your ears.
            Last edited by DodgyAgent; 6 July 2009, 13:47.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

All eras have their top few players.

Today it is no different, there is no less or more talent than older days (making allowances for better fitness and changes in equipment as time rolls on).

The logic being applied by Cyberman today could have been applied to the 1990s when Sampras won so much, or the late seventies when Borg was about. And even the 1960s, when Laver won a lot and could have won more if he'd been allowed.

Were all those eras of less talent?

Comment

The game has evolved, diet better, fitness better the margin between win and lose smaller. It's ridiculuous to compare the 60s 70s or (maybe) even 80s with today. Yes the game was becoming about power, with a few exceptions (Agassi et al). Federer changed that, he has all aspects to his game and wins without outright brute force.
                One thing for sure it's unlikely someone like Rod Laver could compete in today's game at only 5ft 8.
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                X