• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Obscure london places quiz - answer and ask

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Met line - mid 1800s

Whats on ALL the plinths in Trafalgar Square?
    Granite.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Met line - mid 1800s

Whats on ALL the plinths in Trafalgar Square?
      Statues

Where is Black Rod's Garden? (No googling)
      We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
      - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
        Statues

Where is Black Rod's Garden? (No googling)
        Lincoln fields at a guess?

Which famous pub was attacked by masked robbers in the 50s?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

I would have guessed at "behind his house" (which is in the Palace of Westminster I think)
          Is Lincoln Fields intended to be Lincolns Inn Fields......?

Is it famous for being attacked by masked robbers.... or was a famous pub attacked by masked robbers?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

I would have guessed at "behind his house" (which is in the Palace of Westminster I think)
            Is Lincoln Fields intended to be Lincolns Inn Fields......?

Is it famous for being attacked by masked robbers.... or was a famous pub attacked by masked robbers?
            Drewster is correct.

In answer to Sasguru's qn, I'll guess the Blind Beggar in Whitechapel.

What connects hampton wick and tilbury dock?
            We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
            - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
              Drewster is correct.

In answer to Sasguru's qn, I'll guess the Blind Beggar in Whitechapel.

What connects hampton wick and tilbury dock?
              River Thames.

Where is London's (and Britain's) oldest off licence?

(Bonus question: who had a special embassy in a small building at the back?)
              Last edited by swamp; 3 July 2009, 14:26.
              Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                River Thames.

Where is London's (and Britain's) oldest off licence?

(Bonus question: who had a special embassy in a small building at the back?)
                I think you're talking about the Texas Embassy, which would make the offy Berry Bros. and Rudd on St James's Street. It's also the only offy where you never get gangs of youths asking if you'll go in and get some cider for them.

Q:
                Where did Dick Whittington "turn again"? (the site is now marked by a statue of his cat).

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                  I think you're talking about the Texas Embassy, which would make the offy Berry Bros. and Rudd on St James's Street. It's also the only offy where you never get gangs of youths asking if you'll go in and get some cider for them.

Q:
                  Where did Dick Whittington "turn again"? (the site is now marked by a statue of his cat).
                  Would that be the junction of the A1 and A428... Black Cat Roundabout??

I do hope so - I have always wondered why its called black cat!

What is the "Doyen" of the Court of St James? (and for a supplementary Who is.....)

Comment

I do hope so - I have always wondered why its called black cat!

What is the "Doyen" of the Court of St James? (and for a supplementary Who is.....)
                    The Queen?
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

No. That's in Bedfordshire. It would have to be a clear day for the Bow bells to carry that far.
                      It is almost-but-not-quite on the A1 though.

Comment

Working...
                      X