• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Afghanistan - Why ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you have enough money and influence I suppose you can get away with practically anything.

If there are any lingering doubts about the Saudis influence over the US - consider that not too long after Sep 11th the US withdrew their millitary bases from Saudi Arabia .

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
      When you have enough money and influence I suppose you can get away with practically anything.

If there are any lingering doubts about the Saudis influence over the US - consider that not too long after Sep 11th the US withdrew their millitary bases from Saudi Arabia .
      Yes. A major objective achieved from the Wahhabists' point of view.

The Wahhabi sect is the biggest force behind Islamic terrorism in the world, yet the mighty forces of the US and UK worry over bellicose, medieval tribes in Afghanistan rather than striking at the root of this evil.

Odd, isn't it?

It's like a bizarre pantomime where the actors pretend they are pursuing the guilty, and making a huge fuss and noise about it, when all the while the real villain has escaped via the stage backdoor.

It dismays me that Britain's young soldiers are being daily ground up in this horrific mincing-machine.
      Last edited by bogeyman; 12 July 2009, 15:53.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

In my mind, the invasion of Afghanistan was a war on terror. An attempt to make sure there were no more planes flying into prominent buildings in the west, and an attempt to stamp out the breeding grounds of terrorism and possibly to capture the leaders. If you can draw all of the taliban from all over the world into one spot, you might have a chance of eliminating them, a sort of honeypot.

If you consider that there were no people from Afghanistan on board the planes of the Sep 11th attacks - they were in fact Saudis - and there is much evidence from that shows the Saudis financed these groups - how can we explain that there has been - no enquiry of exactly what the Saudis involvement in 9-11 was - no invasion, no trade embargo and no call for regieme change in Saudi Arabia - in fact we still sell them a vast amount of Weapons ?

Until I can be persuaded why the Saudis have remained not only unpunished but rewarded with ever increasing arms deals despite their role in the attacks - the concept of a War on Terror in Afghanistan lacks crediblity.

Surely this indicates that the motives for the Invasion are related to commercial and strategic objectives - rather than anti-terrorism, in effect the current conflict is revival of the 'Great Game.'
        There may have been no Afghan nationals, but I do not draw a distinction between people who hold an idea and their nationality. It is almost irrelevant.

Germany fought for a powerful idea in the 40's , and it was a close thing. But Hitler was not a German.

I understand that you think a 'war on terror' is a little naive but I don't see where the commercial gain is. Unless you plan to trot out the military/industrial conspiracy theory

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          There may have been no Afghan nationals, but I do not draw a distinction between people who hold an idea and their nationality. It is almost irrelevant.

Germany fought for a powerful idea in the 40's , and it was a close thing. But Hitler was not a German.

I understand that you think a 'war on terror' is a little naive but I don't see where the commercial gain is. Unless you plan to trot out the military/industrial conspiracy theory

Dear EO

I respect your point of view - and you are an ex-service man as I recall ?

You want - you need to - believe that our millitary is doing the right thing and lifes are not lost in vain.

I acknowledge that - but the reality is that our millitary leaders are at the beck and call of our politicians.

It does seem that our soldiers are being sacrificed, Afghan communites torn apart , shattered civillians with no future - well I was going to continue - but you know , I am now too dismayed to continue - all those lives lost, the intense human suffering in this endless unwinnable conflict - for what ???

I leave you with an extract from last weeks' TorchWood

There's one thing I always meant to ask Jack, back in the old days. I wanted to know about that Doctor of his.

The man who appears out of nowhere and saves the world.

Except sometimes he doesn't.

All those times in history when there was no sign of him, I wanted to know, why not?

But I don't need to ask anymore, I know the answer now.

Sometimes the Doctor must look at this planet, and turn away in shame
          Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 12 July 2009, 16:28.

Comment

Dear EO

I respect your point of view - and you are an ex-service man as I recall ?

You want - you need to - believe that our millitary is doing the right thing and lifes are not lost in vain.

I acknowledge that - but the reality is that our millitary leaders are at the beck and call of our politicians.

It does seem that our soldiers are being sacrificed, Afghan communites torn apart , shattered civillians with no future - well I was going to continue - but you know , I am now too dismayed to continue - all those lives lost, the intense human suffering in this endless unwinnable conflict - for what ???

I leave you with an extract from last weeks' TorchWood

There's one thing I always meant to ask Jack, back in the old days. I wanted to know about that Doctor of his.

The man who appears out of nowhere and saves the world.

Except sometimes he doesn't.

All those times in history when there was no sign of him, I wanted to know, why not?

But I don't need to ask anymore, I know the answer now.

Sometimes the Doctor must look at this planet, and turn away in shame
            I have never said that I support the war in Afghanistan, and I have no illusions that out generals or leaders always do the right thing. The only reason I get involved in these discussions is to correct any historical misunderstandings and to put the military perspective.
            I have no opinion on whether we should be involved in Afghanistan, but I can give you ten reasons why we should.
            I have no opinion on whether we should pull out now, but I can give you ten reasons why we should.

These questions revolve around a single move in the game. A much better question, Alf, is that if you had all the pieces at your disposal, how would you play the entire game ?

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
              Yes. A major objective achieved from the Wahhabists' point of view.

The Wahhabi sect is the biggest force behind Islamic terrorism in the world, yet the mighty forces of the US and UK worry over bellicose, medieval tribes in Afghanistan rather than striking at the root of this evil.

Odd, isn't it?
              It is odd. Very odd indeed. And as well as those flying the planes into the twin towers being Saudi, they provide a huge amount of funding for propagating their breed of Islam in UK mosques.
              Yet when Channel 4 seeks to expose this, the police investigate Channel 4 for inciting racial hatred. It buggers belief.

http://www.channel4.com/news/article...return/2436087

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle2224728.ece

So the powers-that-be turn a blind eye to whats happening here, threaten anyone who tries to expose it with prosecution, and send our troops halfway around the world to get killed over a bunch of rocks. Hence my earlier comment about the war being largely due to political correctness on our part.
              The US motivation may be slightly different.
              Last edited by GreenerGrass; 12 July 2009, 18:38.

Comment

These questions revolve around a single move in the game. A much better question, Alf, is that if you had all the pieces at your disposal, how would you play the entire game ?

I have to be careful not to Preach
                I cant pretend that I can teach
                And yet Ive lived your Future's out

The childrens deams are run with rats
                the raging flames -the widows sobs
                The Bloody faces slowly pass

Bombs are dropped on fighting cats
                - They all belong to me you know
                Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 12 July 2009, 20:16.

Comment

So after all the answers and theories, I bring you back to my original question

"Can anyone tell me why we're in Afghanistan ? I can understand (just) the reasoning behind Korea, Vietnam, The Falklands etc. I understand a certain dominant world power wanted Iraq's oil reserves but why Afghanistan ?"

My Grandfather went ashore on D-Day, my father fought in Korea, various other relatives have fought in various other 'conflicts' - there was always some kind of reasoning behind why we were there.

I just don't see why we are in Afghanistan. In my uneducated and not very knowledgable way it occurs to me that the 'ramping up' in British activity in Afghanistan is in direct relation to the the ever closer General Election. And you can certainly say that it pushes the subject of parliamentary misdemenours to the inner pages of the tabloids.

QED - It's politically motivated and nothing at all to do with imminent terror threats.

Comment

Originally posted by rabiddog View Post
                    Can anyone tell me why we're in Afghanistan ?
                    Tony Blair took us there. After his success in Kosovo and Sierra Leone, being a military leader went to his head just a little bit.

Casualties have been low, despite what the headlines would have you believe -- bear in mind 1000 British solders were dying a day in WW1. I wonder how many Afghans and other foreign enemies have died. Probably a lot more than 178.

The main damage being done is to the credibility of Britain as a world power. We're becoming a laughing stock, and countries like Russia and Iran are poking fun at us.
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

The reason we were given was that “The Taliban wont hand over OBL and we have to get him and clear the terrorists camps out”. However, since the war started it has emerged that The Taliban had agreed to hand over OBL and close the terrorist camps, before 9/11 (after USS cole bombing) and after 9/11 as well. Google it….

However, for some, there is more profit to be made in war then peace. Plus Bush thought he has to satisfy his nation’s bloodlust. And Blair, being bush’s NBF, probably thought it was a good idea…..the standing ovation from congress and promises of $100,000 a night on the speeches circuit probably made it worth it for him….

Comment

Working...
                      X