• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The biggest bumble bee in the world...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    He's probably going on about my beef with doctors that I foolishly disclosed on another thread.

No idea why (one of) Sasguru is so defensive of doctors. We can only wildly speculate.

It wasn't you bogey. TW is simply being a troll:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...-medicine.html
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering what I had done to upset the medical profession.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

The drones will inseminate the queen with sufficient jizz to make her a productive egg laying machine for years to come. The poor old drones get rejected from the colony and die a cold and lonely death.

A bit like Harriet Harman's ideal world view.
        hehehehe - quality
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Troll, moi? How so?

Comment

We're actually doing well with bees of all sorts and many butterflies this year.

Probably because the garden has gone a bit wild of late.

I like it that way, but wife is all for a scorch and burn policy - no lover of nature is she.

Same here. I have a magnificent buddleia in my garden and butterflies love it.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
              hehehehe - quality
              As a former bee keeper, I can say that drones are truly great.

Put aside your species prejudice, and you will see the male bee, or 'drone' for what he is. He's basically a chap, a bloke.

He is bigger than the female bee. More rotund of figure.

He has no sting, nor any other defence, other than his charm.

He bumbles around the hive, pretending to fix things. The young and nubile female worker bees attend to him, feed him, and groom him.

Once in his life, he gets to fly. He follows the queen, and if he gets lucky, he will get his end away.

He will return to the hive (usually depleted and queenless) and the worker bees will shove him out of the door, to die of cold and starvation on the ground below.

Poor old drone.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                It certainly looked like they were humping.

You meant they sounded like they were humming.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                  You meant they sounded like they were humming.
                  Here's the only reference I can find of bees being spotted humping on the ground:
                  http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

The larger bee that I saw beeing 'humped' was quite a bit bigger than the other, so perhaps they weren't male and female and/or were up to something else.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    Here's the only reference I can find of bees being spotted humping on the ground:
                    http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

The larger bee that I saw beeing 'humped' was quite a bit bigger than the other, so perhaps they weren't male and female and/or were up to something else.
                    it's a common behavior called 'gleaning'. Smaller bees gather up excess pollen from larger bees. The larger bees don't seem to mind at all.

Comment

I love bees and their buzzy business, I can while away quite a lot of time watching them go into every flower on a foxglove .

On the subject of ladybirds I believe our native species is under attack from a foreign invader ladybird

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8124099.stm

And we released 5 painted lady butterfly's into our garden last week - we'd had them from a grub and watched them grow and pupate and turn into lovely butterfly's. I can recommend anyone with kids (- or not ) to try this it really is great.
                      We got the kit from the supermarket at Christmas - sent off for our 5 grubs and watched them grow - magic
                      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                      X