• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can the government get rid of Mervyn King?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    I think labour strategists are blowing it in such biblical fashion that the tories and liberals don't actually need to do anything to beat them. It's almost as if labour have had enough and want out.
    I think it was Michael Foot who called the Labour 1983 manifesto as the longest suicide note in history!

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      Sadly, it may not be. I believe that it stands a very good chance of working. The people of the country ARE that stupid to fall for it.
      Not so sure....I think things are so bad that even some of the idiots are waking up and smelling the coffee. Sure some people will still vote for them - hell, I have American relatives who would vote republican even if a monkey ran as a republican (and there are those who would say...), so I certainly agree it matters not a jot to some people what the actual policies are.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

The public sector, benefits claimants etc will all vote Labour to protect their jobs, pensions and hand-outs. People will only realise what a mess we are in when we inevitably go cap in hand to the IMF.

Comment

I think labour strategists are blowing it in such biblical fashion that the tories and liberals don't actually need to do anything to beat them. It's almost as if labour have had enough and want out.
          I felt that way at the end of the last Tory government.

I don't doubt that the Labour party are in deep denial about their chances, the concern that I have is that when the Tories get in there won't be an effective opposition as let's face it the current crop of Labourites are astoundingly feeble.
          The really sad thing is that I don't expect a Conservative government to be appreciably better than the current bunch of tits in power.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            The really sad thing is that I don't expect a Conservative government to be appreciably better than the current bunch of tits in power.
            I reckon lots of people feel that way at the moment - they are all as bad as each other.
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              I felt that way at the end of the last Tory government.

I don't doubt that the Labour party are in deep denial about their chances, the concern that I have is that when the Tories get in there won't be an effective opposition as let's face it the current crop of Labourites are astoundingly feeble.
              The really sad thing is that I don't expect a Conservative government to be appreciably better than the current bunch of tits in power
              I don't think there are many who would disagree with you on that one! Scary isn't it?
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                Sadly, it may not be. I believe that it stands a very good chance of working. The people of the country ARE that stupid to fall for it.
                Sadly, I agree.

Comment

I have American relatives who would vote republican even if a monkey ran as a republican (and there are those who would say...), so I certainly agree it matters not a jot to some people what the actual policies are.
                  That's entirely true and a reason that causes me to despise Party politics, admittedly in the USA it's extensively compounded by the old Civil War allegiances. Confederates vote largely Democrat and Republicans are supported by the Northern states.
                  Sectarian politics is sadly all too common across the world, common sense or superb policies run a very distant second in many peoples minds.

I don't think there are many who would disagree with you on that one! Scary isn't it?
                  Utterly terrifying!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Whilst wearing his duffle coat no doubt...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_lon...ote_in_history

Kaufman according to that...
                    I've just had a scan read of "The New Hope for Britain".

If only they had won
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

That's very similar to the Major government in 1997; it was almost as if they knew that the game was up and thus they didn't really put much of an effort into campaigning, realising that they were going to be torn a new one by the smiling war-criminal, sorry, Tony Blair.

Comment

Working...
                      X