• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Only 9 from 15

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test of English is not required in some cases (like mine since I have got UK degree).

Comment

Originally posted by KpMrJ
      I've been saying this for YEARS, it would solve so many inherant problems the UK has.

Oh and my score was 8, which isn't brilliant considering I consider myself a true Englishman.

J
      No its not...introducing it is so OBVIOUSLY against someones human rights!

Mailman

Comment

Scope for some else sitting the test for you?

Originally posted by Joe Black
        "the idea is to have reasonable barrier against those foreigners who don't want even to learn language"

But isn't there meant to be an English test as well, if so what does the pop culture quiz achieve?

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind...tionality.html
        Now that site really inspires confidence in the vetting of test candidates:

http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/ht...taking_10.html

"Are there any identification requirements?

Yes, you need to bring photographic ID with you to your test centre to present to the test supervisor. Acceptable forms include: passport (from your country of origin) or a photographic driving licence. If you don't have any photographic ID, you should bring a passport-sized photograph of yourself to your test centre. This photograph should be signed on the back by a professional such as a doctor, minister of religion or teacher who is known to you. Visit the UK Passport Agency website for the full list of professionals who can sign your photo. Your test supervisor will also sign your photograph and return it to you after your test, attached to your pass notification letter. You need to send both along with your citizenship application to the Home Office. You will also be asked for your postcode at the test centre, so you may wish to bring along something that contains this information."

Er, just a moment. Shouldn't anyone wishing to apply have other paperwork such as a resident's visa or something?

AtW: How does this work? I assume you have some paperwork which says you are entitled to apply for UK citizenship - I would have thought that was a better piece of id to have to take a test.
        Last edited by Sysman; 1 November 2005, 14:03.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          Test of English is not required in some cases (like mine since I have got UK degree).
          Fair enough in your case, but according to the article in today's Telegraph, it won't really be enforced.

Telegraph article:

"Exam criticised for leaving out history but including regional accents
          By Philip Johnston, Home Affairs Editor
          (Filed: 01/11/2005)

The Life in the UK test is aimed at those with a good grasp of English, who will be required to gain at least 75 per cent to get citizenship.

Applicants who are less accomplished at English can attend a combined language and citizenship class instead. They will be expected to complete the course but will not have to pass the exam to gain citizenship.

"I don't want to set the bar too high to deter people from applying," said Tony McNulty, the Home Office minister. "I believe we've achieved the appropriate balance."

Can someone please tell me WTF is going on???
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I got 14 and I could therefore be royalty, except I got the divorce question wrong, and any self-respecting prince or princess would have known that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman
              Applicants who are less accomplished at English can attend a combined language and citizenship class instead. They will be expected to complete the course but will not have to pass the exam to gain citizenship.
              This is strange indeed

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                I find your Avatar quite offputting, Wendigo.

I work with a woman who looks remarkably similar...
                I like her.

Comment

So Father Christmas was invented in America, by Germans and Swedes, and lives at the North Pole. How does that constitute Britishness?

I thought he was real and lived in the Milton Keynes shopping centre.

Comment

Working...
                  X