• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is HD overrated?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Everytime I've looked in the shops most of them look naff to me in comparison to my trusty old Sony CRT 24" screen. The only exception to that are high end Sony LCD screens, which I will go buy one day.
    There is some truth in this - the only reason we got a 42 inch Sony Bravia LCD was 'cos the Sony 32 inch CRT packed in.

Actually in the early days of LCD PC monitors, I bought one and returned it as the picture was not as good as my 17 inch NEC FE700 which I still use today (shame there isn't much room for anything else on my desk).
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Hd

Sky is 1080i i.e. interlaced not progressive. The best picture I have seen is pioneer plasma 50". You need Bluray, ps3 is good with a good amp for sound. You are talking 10-20K for a good setup.

Comment

It seems to be a popular myth that Sky is only broadcasting in 720 ish. It's not true, everybody adopted 1080i in the end.
        I think this stems from rumours that circulated before Sky launched their HD service that they were planning to broadcast some of their programming (particularly sport) in 720p.

I've not got HD. Everytime I've looked in the shops most of them look naff to me in comparison to my trusty old Sony CRT 24" screen. The only exception to that are high end Sony LCD screens, which I will go buy one day.
        Have you had the opportunity to look at any Pioneer plasma panels? If you haven't then they are well worth seeking out - but you might want to leave your wallet at home.
        Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by orac View Post
          Sky is 1080i i.e. interlaced not progressive. The best picture I have seen is pioneer plasma 50". You need Bluray, ps3 is good with a good amp for sound. You are talking 10-20K for a good setup.
          Correct about Sky. OLED screens look set to overtake LCD and plasma screens in the near future though.
          You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            It's that digital mediocrity again. They do have motion blur and digital artifacts/giant pixelling (I have a Bravia and it does too). You get used to it, like you get used to MP3s lack of Fi, and digital pics pixellation (not to mention abject failure to follow Kodachrome's colour reproduction).
            The irony is that SD TV could be an awful lot better than it is, but frequently looks terrible because of the amount of compression used. Blow that up to 50" and upscaled to a different resolution and you really highlight the terribleness of digital TV. HD then looks like a big improvement, but partly because they're using less (and better) compression.

It seems to me the biggest reason for HD is not to get better quality, it's to go bigger without the loss of quality.

Somebody has developed a new LCD TV using 5 (or maybe 6) colours, which means they can produce 95% of the visible colour spectrum rather than 60% ish that the best TVs manage now. Of course that's completely incompatible with all existing systems and broadcasts, so expect to have to buy everything all over again in a couple of years.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
              I think this stems from rumours that circulated before Sky launched their HD service that they were planning to broadcast some of their programming (particularly sport) in 720p.
              In theory that would have been better, but I think they decided to cut corners by just using the one standard throughout.

Have you had the opportunity to look at any Pioneer plasma panels? If you haven't then they are well worth seeking out - but you might want to leave your wallet at home.
              So I've heard, but you don't get plasmas in sensible sizes (and anything bigger than 32" is just for chavs).
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

So I've heard, but you don't get plasmas in sensible sizes (and anything bigger than 32" is just for chavs).
                I have a 50" Pioneer
                Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

It seems to me the biggest reason for HD is not to get better quality, it's to go bigger without the loss of quality.
                  WHS

Comment

Lets see what your view is on that when you get something bigger than 32 inch.

Come on - I paid about £300 less for a 42 inch Sony Bravia than the 32 inch Sony CRT about 8 years ago!

Comment

I have HD and I love it - i can't stand watching football on non HD channels now. I aslo use the PS3 as a dvd player and blu-ray does look good.

I was told that motion blur tends only to be noticeable on big screens if you are standing too close. It's worth remembering that when you buy your 50 inch screen the chances are you will not be sat as close to it as you would with say your monitor. The chances are a huge telly is going intoa huge room and you will be a certain distance away from it.

Our telly is a 42 inch Sharp one that is knocking on a little - the technology has improved a lot over the past 2 years but I still think the picture on ours looks good when it has the right feed into it.

i was in selfridges at the weekend and they had some of those oled tv's - they look really good.
                      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X