• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Neighbours with shift patterns

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having worked night shifts a long, long time ago, I know how difficult it can be to sleep during the day. But it's something you either learn how to deal with, or get another job.

Did he appear to show any consideration to you and what you trying to do.

If his attitude was "I need this, I need that" with no thought for what you need, then I say f*** him.

I wouldn't go out of your way to make noise, but at the same time, do what you need to do to make your schedule. Maybe put off the noisy stuff until the afternoon, but don't tiptoe around - it's your home.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
      Having worked night shifts a long, long time ago, I know how difficult it can be to sleep during the day. But it's something you either learn how to deal with, or get another job.

Did he appear to show any consideration to you and what you trying to do.

If his attitude was "I need this, I need that" with no thought for what you need, then I say f*** him.

I wouldn't go out of your way to make noise, but at the same time, do what you need to do to make your schedule. Maybe put off the noisy stuff until the afternoon, but don't tiptoe around - it's your home.
      He was fairly pushy to be honest. I have a lot of work to do but if I manage my time with his needs in mind then I should be able to reorganise my day to cause him the least disturbance. Ie quiet jobs in the morning such as painting, and try to chop all timber and hammer nails in the afternoon.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        He was fairly pushy to be honest. I have a lot of work to do but if I manage my time with his needs in mind then I should be able to reorganise my day to cause him the least disturbance. Ie quiet jobs in the morning such as painting, and try to chop all timber and hammer nails in the afternoon.
        You are Wilmslow's slow-witted sockpuppet and ICMFP!

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Just got the keys to our new house. I have been putting in some banisters and spindles. I was working all weekend and was back there today. I didn't start until 1:30pm as I had some errands to run this morning.

I had been working for around an hour when the doorbell went. It was the neighbour. He stated he was a clinical supervisior, and the only hours he could sleep were between 9am and 2pm, and asked me not to do any noisy work between these hours. (This does not apply at weekends)

I have taken two weeks off to welcome our new arrival and try and get the essential DIY done before we move in. The other neighbours have young kids so I think it would be un-neighbourly to work past 6:30 pm during the week.

So I can only do 4.5 hours DIY work per day.

Well if you must live among the lower classes, you must bear the consequences.

HTH.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Usually best tio try to get on with the neighbours. Though technically you on[sic] have to be quiet between 11pm and 7am.
            Technically? eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              Technically? eh?
              yes. do you struggle with English? Shall I translate into some other lnguage for you?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Well if you must live among the lower classes, you must bear the consequences.

HTH.
                I suppose if you have trouble with the neighbours you send your neighbour round to sort them out?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  yes. do you struggle with English? Shall I translate into some other lnguage[sic] for you?
                  Well there's the irony of that for a start; you could translate it into the French lnguage if you like. My question was "under what technicality does one have an obligation to be quiet during the hours you cited?"

Comment

Buy him a pack of ear plugs.
                    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

It's not as if it's the TV on full which is behavior that could last indefinitely

Tell him it will go on for as long as it takes, he will get paid double time by his company because he has to sleep during hours when other people have to work, not because the job is twice as hard during the night. He has made the lifestyle choice, he get well rewarded for it so he can learn to live with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X