• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

European Currency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    Yep. The situation of being locked in the Eurozone means that Ireland's ability to extract itself from worldwide recession are extremely limited. No control over interest rates and also a strong Euro, while the UK has been able to weaken the pound to increase its international competitiveness and reduce interest rates much earlier and more dramatically to boost the economy at home.

Thus, we are at least seeing a few 'green shoots' while Ireland certainly is not.

I am so sorry - I read Ireland as Iceland!!!!!!! It's only one letter and a couple of months, as they say.

Pay more attention HAB

Ireland has been suffering from far too lax monitary policies as a result of being in the euro. It needed higher rates in the past to cool things off.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post

I am so sorry - I read Ireland as Iceland!!!!!!! It's only one letter and a couple of months, as they say.

Pay more attention HAB

Ireland has been suffering from far too lax monitary policies as a result of being in the euro. It needed higher rates in the past to cool things off.

No probs. You are right that Ireland needed higher interest rates at one stage, and this again emphasises its problems of being in the Euro where one interest rate has to try to be relevant to nearly 20 countries. It's an impossible task.

Comment

CyberT, you are so funny, Ireland needed higher interest rates to cool things off? But according to you the UK needed to lower them sooner

This is when both countires had the same problem
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

On a related topic, I reckon the main reason Fondlebums is so mad keen to privatise the Post Office is to get the Queen's head off stamps, which I'm sure he sees as one more stage towards sidelining the monarchy in preparation for abolishing it in favour of an EU president.

Pschologically, if the sovereign's image is no longer seen every day, on stamps and currency for example, they eventually sort of fade from prominence. So joining the euro would, among other things, further this aim.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            CyberT, you are so funny, Ireland needed higher interest rates to cool things off? But according to you the UK needed to lower them sooner

This is when both countires had the same problem

Different countries need different interest rates at different times. We have total flexibility in the UK to achieve this. Of course, you just don't understand and never will.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
              Different countries need different interest rates at different times. We have total flexibility in the UK to achieve this. Of course, you just don't understand and never will.
              That's exactly my point about Scotland. I can not tell you how aggrieved I was to pay 15% interest on my mortgage in Scotland during the last Tory government, when I could see no reason in the Scottish economy to justify high interest rates.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                That's exactly my point about Scotland. I can not tell you how aggrieved I was to pay 15% interest on my mortgage in Scotland during the last Tory government, when I could see no reason in the Scottish economy to justify high interest rates.

You still have more flexibility being attached to the UK than being in the Euro, or is that just too difficult for you to see ?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

I don't claim to understand economics, .
                  In which case shut up.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    What would be the name of the unit of currency in an independent Scotland?
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                      What would be the name of the unit of currency in an independent Scotland?
                      Probably the Euro, though there are quite a few who would happily stick with the Giro.

Comment

Working...
                      X