• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wimps?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    Explained to (non-IT) partner in detail how the agency model works, how much agents know about IT, how the selection is all based on keywords rather than on knowledge, the size of the agent's cut, the handcuff clauses, the lies about having submitted your CV, how they tell us not to be submitted more than once or else be binned, etc etc.

She summarised the situation in a few words: you're all a bunch of spineless wimps for letting those ******* do that to you.

Discuss, dissent, please.
    What are we supposed to do about it? Break their legs?

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      Agents are your sales force. If you've been in business properly you will know how much a sales organisation costs a business. I think agents are pretty good value for money in comparison.
      I understand what you are saying, but that is not the model we work with. It would be nice to have an agent who worked like that, but the truth is closer to what the OP said.
      I have one agent who represents his contractors and sells them to the clients. He negotiates based on his knowledge of what we do and he sells our skills and tries to find a best fit for the client. He wont put me up for stuff I am not right for even if my CV has some matches unless he cant find a real fit and he always informs the client of this. He even attends interviews with me and sells the contractor model if the client is new to using us. I always go to him first when my contract search starts.
      The rest of the agents are a just a filtering service for the client.
      The clients are also victims of agent whispering about needing an agent to avoid employer obligations or unpaid tax coming back up the chain.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        Couldn't agree more, you'd think there would be an agency with a transparent low margin set up purely for the 'go between' scenario.

Money for old rope but they could do a stoncking trade on less than 5% margin seeing as they’d have very little to do. Plan B anyone?
        I believe JM Contracts charge 5% when they haven't done the placing. May be more/less in this climate but I haven't had reason to ask.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

The problem is not that there are agents, nor necessarily the size of their take, but the way that the market is ruled by people who have no idea what any of the keywords mean that they insist on seeing in the right profusion on the CV.

My response was that it is not contractors but clients who wimp out and hand the skilled work to unskilled barrow-boys. Witness the fact that most of the times when I have found a contract directly, I have been forced by the client to find an agency and go through them.

My OH also asked what proportion of agents were former IT contractors, who would know what the work demanded and be able to asses a contractor's ability. Close to 0%, I said. Ridiculous, she said. She is not talking out of her hat here, because in the past she worked in tax accounting in the City, where there were agents, but they were people who could do the job and do the selling. Our lot are just Siralans who can do the selling regardless of the goods.

ISTM too that the IT agents' world is one that is populated by their real competitiors, other agents. Clients are just punters, and contractors are raw materials. This leads among other things to there being too many agents: the market fills up with the maximum number of agents that it can support. In the course of doing that, it causes them to require to take a large margin, rather than have fewer contractors on their books.

I take Threaded's point which is slightly more observant than just bleating about the iniquity of having to use agents, but that is not what happens for most of us. It can not, since IT agents don't know anything about IT, and their business model does not include representing contractors.

In short, IT agents are not real agents. One giveaway to this is the number of times that there is a chain of more than one agent between the client and the contractor. I have had agents that I did not know "offering" me to agents that as it happened I did know well and regularly work with. These former guys are simply parasites, not trying to be an agent for any or either party but just trying to insert themselves into the chain and rake off from it. I am not tarring all agents with that brush, but the fact that it happens is a sign of a twisted market populated by peoople who are not satisfing it properly.

Comment

I've just accepted an offer on my flat. I'm going to pay around £5K to the estate agent who has run around a bit and made a few calls but not much else. And I don't care about the £5K because I believe they've achieved a much better sale price than I could ever have got for myself.

Contracting is the same.
            Cats are evil.

Comment

My agent doesn't even know who the end client is.

Me -> Agency -> Consultancy -> X

And he douldn't get "X" right when he found the role.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
              X