• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

An airplane on a treadmill: will it take off?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    At some point it would crash into that barrier where you put your drinks!
    and the barrier and the drinks would disappear as if they were not there either minced by the prop or crushed by superior mass, or are we talking model plane?
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

obviously if it was one of those fancy treadmills that elevates the front end up then obviously the plane will fly up - otherwise the plane would crash into the nearest hedge

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        I was delivering a van full of Budgerigars to the pet shop the other day and I thought would the van be any lighter if they were in flight during transit???
        Shouldnt that be in flight in the transit in transit.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

The answer depends on how the question is interpreted. If the treadmill and plane are at rest wrt to each other (like a runner on a treadmill) and the question is will the plane generate lift (i.e. take off and fly away with a small increase in engine power) if the treadmill goes fast enough. Then the answer is no, there is no lift. If the plane can ignore its speed wrt the treadmill (unlike a runner on a treadmill except on people do the funniest things), in which case the treadmill is just a red herring except for a small amount of friction to overcome at the wheels, then the answer is yes.
          Last edited by TimberWolf; 17 June 2009, 11:59.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
            and the barrier and the drinks would disappear as if they were not there either minced by the prop or crushed by superior mass, or are we talking model plane?
            If it's a treadmill to carry a 747 it's going to be a big barrier!
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YORCk...eature=related

The conclusive part of the mythbusters link.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I have always wondered about this question (cannot open the Youtube link so am shooting blind)

If we rephrase the question and ask whether an airplane which is kept staionary (by some method such as a treadmill) would it take off

The answer is surely no - because no matter how much thrust the engines give the plane is stationary and therefore there is negligble air flow over the wings and thus the plane would not take off (if this was not the case I would imagine we would have a lot of very short run ways for taking off)

I reckon anyway??

Comment

Randall Munroe (xkcd) has an interesting and informed article on the subject...

http://blag.xkcd.com/2008/09/09/the-...amn-treadmill/
                  B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    I have always wondered about this question (cannot open the Youtube link so am shooting blind)

If we rephrase the question and ask whether an airplane which is kept staionary (by some method such as a treadmill) would it take off

The answer is surely no - because no matter how much thrust the engines give the plane is stationary and therefore there is negligble air flow over the wings and thus the plane would not take off (if this was not the case I would imagine we would have a lot of very short run ways for taking off)

I reckon anyway??
                    Yes, but the thrust needed to keep a plane stationary wrt to the treadmill surface would be small (just enough to overcome friction in the wheels and the force of gravity, if it's on a slope).

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

I reckon anyway??
                      Runways aren't just used for take-off!

In the words of Dave Gunson - "you can have as many take-offs as you like, they're free. We only charge for landings!"

Comment

Working...
                      X