• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

An airplane on a treadmill: will it take off?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ASB View Post
    Quite. But VTOL wasn't excluded by the question was it?
    As pointed out VTOL via Harrier engine wouldn't be practical as it wasn't stated that the treadmill was indestructible.

Mind you it wasn't stated that the aircraft had engines so it's necessary to make far too many assumptions for the question to be answered.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
      As pointed out VTOL via Harrier engine wouldn't be practical as it wasn't stated that the treadmill was indestructible.

Mind you it wasn't stated that the aircraft had engines so it's necessary to make far too many assumptions for the question to be answered.
      Fair cop.

But, if memory serves a Harrier won't normally actually do full VTOL (from a mates dad who Menelaus might just know from Gutersloh in a different life for both of). The reason being ingestion of crap, so there is at least a chance, that the treadmill as it is destroyed might not be ingested. But, yes, if it was it would be embarassing. Still assumes engines though.

Comment

Fair cop.

But, if memory serves a Harrier won't normally actually do full VTOL (from a mates dad who Menelaus might just know from Gutersloh in a different life for both of). The reason being ingestion of crap, so there is at least a chance, that the treadmill as it is destroyed might not be ingested. But, yes, if it was it would be embarassing. Still assumes engines though.
        I've seen them do full VTOL takeoffs, hovers and landings, they're only done when the water tanks are full and the ground is clear or ideally several inches (8-12ish) thick concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          I've seen them do full VTOL takeoffs, hovers and landings, they're only done when the water tanks are full and the ground is clear or ideally several inches (8-12ish) thick concrete.
          My understanding (possibly wrong) from my old mates dad (who did some of the original handover to the USM as it happens) is that full VTOL is awkward because even with full tanks there is the risk of what he decribed as "impeller contamination". He said (I paraphrase) vertical thrust can be lost and flight can be compromised. I undestand (again possibly wrongly) that the hover - whilst very impressive - was very expensive and gave quite a lot of guranteed downtime. The most impressive bit for me was the backwards VTOL.

As it happens a mate of mines hubby got seconded to the RN in the falklands. He was not popular for parking one at the bottom of the south atlantic after the Argentinians had figured the combat time of a harrier was not great and a second wave of SE's could cause a certain amount of mayhem. Came back through the swiss diplomatic mission.

Edit: when they still had the phantom squadron at Coningsby they were impressive to watch rotate with ab's on.

Comment

It's difficult and astonishingly noisy, but it's done. The risks of ingestion of ground crap are mitigated by using a large, very sturdy and brushed off concrete apron. The noise really is impressive as is the fuel consumption in vectored flight, they don't have massive fuel tanks either as they weren't designed for long range duties and it's a design of compromises.

The pilots and the aerodromes prefer STOL which is fantastic to watch, doesn't spit bits of ground at high velocity and a hell of a lot quieter.

Seeing them with the engine stripped out is interesting too as there's bog all left apart from the tail, stubby wings and cockpit.

Comment

Oh dear. I think someone has heard a word 'injestion' and confused it.

The problem with VTOL on the harrier is the risk of sucking it's own exhaust back in.

There's your clue, now carry on arguing. You all are quite amusing in a clueless kinda way.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

My understanding (possibly wrong) from my old mates dad (who did some of the original handover to the USM as it happens) is that full VTOL is awkward because even with full tanks there is the risk of what he decribed as "impeller contamination". He said (I paraphrase) vertical thrust can be lost and flight can be compromised. I undestand (again possibly wrongly) that the hover - whilst very impressive - was very expensive and gave quite a lot of guranteed downtime. The most impressive bit for me was the backwards VTOL.

As it happens a mate of mines hubby got seconded to the RN in the falklands. He was not popular for parking one at the bottom of the south atlantic after the Argentinians had figured the combat time of a harrier was not great and a second wave of SE's could cause a certain amount of mayhem. Came back through the swiss diplomatic mission.

Edit: when they still had the phantom squadron at Coningsby they were impressive to watch rotate with ab's on.
                29 Sqdn and 228OCU? I was at RAF Coningsby in the early 1980s and seeing the aircraft take off on full after-burner reminded me of the joke of two pigeons sitting at the end of Coningsby runway, one saying to the other "Wouldn't you like to be able to fly that fast?" to which the other replies "Well, you would if your arse was on fire!".

viz Harrier at VTOL - can be done but as others have mentioned its astonishingly wasteful of fuel and to the best of my knowledge is now only done at air displays as a matter of course. I'd imagine the people at RAF Wittering teach it though before pilots go off to JFH at RAF Cottesmore.

viz "ingestion of exhaust" for Harrier - I've not heard of this (not that this means it doesn't happen) but I've seen an A-10 at a range firing its main cannon with such ferocity that (a) it appears to be hanging in mid air (recoil) and (b) the exhaust gasses from the cannon have caused the engines to need to be relit in mid flight.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                  Oh dear. I think someone has heard a word 'injestion' and confused it.

The problem with VTOL on the harrier is the risk of sucking it's own exhaust back in.

There's your clue, now carry on arguing. You all are quite amusing in a clueless kinda way.
                  I imagine you're right. I was only describing how it was described to me in laymans terms by somebody who has spent considerably more time at the business end of one than you.

Comment

somebody who has spent considerably more time at the business end of one than you.
                    What is the 'business end' of a harrier?

Is it the pilot's seat or is it the place he's shooting at?
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      What is the 'business end' of a harrier?

Is it the pilot's seat or is it the place he's shooting at?
                      I believe that is a debate that should be resolved within its own Thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X