• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Now London postal workers are going on strike

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    WHS

One of the easiest models I've ever built was a credit card despatch model. It's telling that the Royal Mail have one person per region whose job it is to liaise with the banks (etc) about mail being stolen.
    My replacement credit card arrived in a hand written plain A5 envelope containing the real business envelope and a piece of A5 card either side to disguise the contents, they've obviously thought about the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
      My replacement credit card arrived in a hand written plain A5 envelope containing the real business envelope and a piece of A5 card either side to disguise the contents, they've obviously thought about the problem.
      Yep. The model determines the nature of the delivery method (e.g., the method you got yours is "disguised", there are others:

- courier
      - to branch
      - normal

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
        Is there any point in a postal service these days, everything useful can be send/processed over the internet.

When was the last time you received a letter in the post that was:-

A. Useful
        and
        B. Could not have been transmitted electronically??

There are items like ebay purchases etc, but these are generally delivered by couriers who provide a better service at lower cost than the Royal Mail.

I have to agree with the other posts, the mail service is so bad in London going on strike will not degrade the service any further.

PZZ
        HMRC?
        You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Not sure we'll notice the difference!

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            This week I've had several items in the post that fit both of your requirements.

Replacement credit card.
            Signed contracts.
            Some enlargements of photos.
            Security forms that required signatures on originals.
            A DVD with loads of info from a client.

Admittedly I'm a long way from London
            Did any of this get delivered by Royal Mail??
            I suspect:
            Credit card - private courier
            signed contracts- could have been sent electronically
            photos -pick em up when you are at the shops next
            security form - pdf downloaded
            DVD - download and burn yourself (more secure!).

The point that Im trying to make - how bad does the postal service need to get before people just don't use it any more??

Everything that is send by Royal Mail can be delivered by another mechanism- what future does the 'service' have??

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
              WHS

One of the easiest models I've ever built was a credit card despatch model. It's telling that the Royal Mail have one person per region whose job it is to liaise with the banks (etc) about mail being stolen.
              So the despatch model depends on location? You learn something new every day!

Live in a dodgy post (meaning sorting office) area yout get exrtra securtiy?
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
                HMRC?
                HMRC want everyone to use their web portal.

PZZ

Comment

You don't have to sign off on every post
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
                    Did any of this get delivered by Royal Mail??
                    I suspect:
                    Credit card - private courier
                    signed contracts- could have been sent electronically
                    photos -pick em up when you are at the shops next
                    security form - pdf downloaded
                    DVD - download and burn yourself (more secure!).

The point that Im trying to make - how bad does the postal service need to get before people just don't use it any more??

Everything that is send by Royal Mail can be delivered by another mechanism- what future does the 'service' have??

PZZ
                    All delivered by Royal Mail.

I wasn't in when the card was delivered in a disguised envelope, I would have had to call the courier and arranged for a redelivery on another day when I would have to be in which isn't often....
                    Signed contracts to be countersigned and sent back. Wet signatures are far easier to legally enforce than electronic ones.
                    Photo's weren't taken by me but were sent by a relative 300 miles away taken on a non digital camera, I don't find nipping into a camera shop 300 miles away that handy.
                    Security form had some info already filled in, info is confidential and had initialled changes.
                    DVD encrypted and the info resides on servers NOT connected to the internet on another continent. It could have been sent by a courier, but why pay more than the postal services charge? The data is commercially sensitive, but not of value to other people and not time critical.

You might not see a use for the Royal Mail postal service, but I disagree that it's redundant.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                      You don't have to sign off on every post
                      LOL

Amiga500
                      You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Working...
                      X