• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sudden Contract Termination

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would they be paying you for?
    They could give you 4 weeks notice and tell you to go on gardening leave. Refuse you entry for any number of reasons.
    You dont earn when you are not on site so upshot is same as being let go on day one.

Has anyone ever managed to enforce a notice period?
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      Ignore some of the bullcrap on here about 'its nothing to do with you what goes on between agent & client'! **** that.
      Sorry. Clearly, you need an employment solicitor because it's a question of employment law as you are an employee, and clearly your contract is really with the client, and the agent is 100% on your side and if they say they can't get the money from the client you should believe them and give up.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
        What would they be paying you for?
        They could give you 4 weeks notice and tell you to go on gardening leave. Refuse you entry for any number of reasons.
        You dont earn when you are not on site so upshot is same as being let go on day one.

Has anyone ever managed to enforce a notice period?
        WHS.

Does your contract say the client was obliged to give you work? Is so it was a very bad IR35 pointer.

Personally I would move on.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Sorry. Clearly, you need an employment solicitor because it's a question of employment law as you are an employee, and clearly your contract is really with the client, and the agent is 100% on your side and if they say they can't get the money from the client you should believe them and give up.

Not if he's Ltd. Employment law does not apply, but contract law does.

I had a similar problem before but the contract basically said in the small print that I could be dismissed at any time for any reason. So I went to an employment lawyer to ask if this was a legal clause and he pointed out the above to me.
          Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
            Not if he's Ltd. Employment law does not apply, but contract law does.

I had a similar problem before but the contract basically said in the small print that I could be dismissed at any time for any reason. So I went to an employment lawyer to ask if this was a legal clause and he pointed out the above to me.
            Whooooooshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Comment

This happened to me about 2 years ago, after 5 weeks of starting the contract, not because I was slow, I believe the other PM (also contractor) was threatened because I was giving the client sound advice and his technical decisions were so bad (he wasn’t technical at all) I too had 4 weeks’ notice in my contract which the client/agent were trying to get out of.

Anyhow, MF told me that he went through this before me, he took his client/agent to court, he described the experience and it was awful, and definitely not worth the time effort or the nerves one gets through. It took him a long time to make so many court visits etc, and cost him too much to make the payoff worth it. So I took MF’s advice, I negotiated a 2 week’s pay instead of 4, and put all my effort in finding a new contract, at the time the market wasn’t as bad as now, and I managed to get a new role fairly easily. I understand emotionally and psychologically this isn’t an easy thing to get over at the start, and you feel hard done by, but believe me, the feeling will soon go away, I don’t regret walking away from it.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                But you could credit check the agency to get some idea of their ability to pay.
                What is the easiest way to do that ?

Comment

Still made the right choice...

Ive had a look at both sides of the argument on here and still feel that I have made the right choice.

To recover the 4 weeks pay that I could have recovered (just over 8k), would of cost me at least half of that in costs, time off from my present contract, travel (Im non-UK contracting at the moment) etc and at the end of it all (months and months) the tin pot agency would have gone bust due to losing their main client because of all of the greif caused. The 1% that I was uncertain of has already been mentioned- a time sheet signed by the client is required to make the agent liable to pay me without any uncertainty.

As I said, most contracts are not worth the paper they are written on if the client refuses to pay- the agent does not have liability because there are no signed time sheets and the client will not let you back on site to do any work anyway.

I forgot to mention that I had a similar experience back in the early 80's and tried to recover 1900 through the small claim process. After spending over 1k on costs, time off, travel etc the agent still refused to pay and wanted to go for a full on lawyers in court scenario that would cost a fortune, last for months and months and still give no guarantee that the agent would not go bust and me end up with just bills to show for the stressful experience.

Unless you have a 100% cast iron guaranteed case and you are certain that the agent will not go bust and you will be able to recover all of your costs as well as the orignial amount disputed, then its just was not worth it in my experience.

Move on and don't get caught out again.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
                    Ive had a look at both sides of the argument on here and still feel that I have made the right choice.

To recover the 4 weeks pay that I could have recovered (just over 8k), would of cost me at least half of that in costs, time off from my present contract, travel (Im non-UK contracting at the moment) etc and at the end of it all (months and months) the tin pot agency would have gone bust due to losing their main client because of all of the greif caused. The 1% that I was uncertain of has already been mentioned- a time sheet signed by the client is required to make the agent liable to pay me without any uncertainty.
                    BTW I wasn't saying he should do this. For the reasons stated it could well be a long drawn out miserable experience, and so that has to be a personal decision. I think if it was me and I'd walked into another job, I'd drop it. But "in the current climate" that might not be so easy. For all we know the OP might have turned down one six month contract to do this one, and then ended up being canned after two weeks and facing months of bench time as a result. In that case it would seem only right and fair that he be entitled to some compensation.

As I said my experience of taking action against a (direct) client cost £500. I never had to go to court, take any days off, or do much of anything other than instruct the solicitor by email.

You have to wonder if these clauses really are worthless, why the agents are putting them into contracts? Isn't that some kind of mis-selling?
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

no signed time sheets = no way to get paid

As I have said, if the end client doesn't want to pay, then you wont get paid!

Move on.....

PZZ

Comment

Working...
                      X