• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Made redundant by SMS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    A friend of mine worked for Nat West (years ago) - He was, along with a couple hundred others booked on a course at one of the big hotels in Manchester for a Monday morning. They got there and each had a box with the contents of their desk in them But at least they were told to their faces.
    Deal or no deal?
    You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      I'm in my 4th month on the bench, without a single phone interview in sight. My OH is making plans to sell the house: in good moments she talks of renting, in bad moments she talks of going back to stay with her mother.

If I get an offer but I suspect it's that kind of place, I should definitely refuse it, right?
      Did you rework your CV with lots of buzzwords like I suggested? I would like to help if I can. Switch to PMs. I'm sure if you lower your day rate, punch up your CV and don't be fussy about where you work this can get sorted. I know I'll get flamed for saying that, but I still believe what I say.

OTH working away from the missus might not be the best thing for your marriage right now.

Please let me take a look at your CV, PM me a santised version. Shirly anything is worth a shot here.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Did you rework your CV with lots of buzzwords like I suggested? I would like to help if I can. Switch to PMs. I'm sure if you lower your day rate, punch up your CV and don't be fussy about where you work this can get sorted. I know I'll get flamed for saying that, but I still believe what I say.

OTH working away from the missus might not be the best thing for your marriage right now.

Please let me take a look at your CV, PM me a santised version. Shirly anything is worth a shot here.
        Thanks, really. But I'm doing all that. Your suggestion to pay close attention to CV keywords was good, I have reworked CV and am going on with that work. Also polishing up my French CV and making a German one.

I have made 2 versions of my Siebel CV, one PL/SQL CV, anpther Oracle CV, and I'm thinking of doing a Mainframe CV though I'd have to go light on the last 10 years for that one!

I have more than lowered my day rate, I have told agents that the rate will not be a sticking point if we get a contract. I know that could be a recipe for being shafted on rate, but any is better than nothing.

I am close to 100% flexible on location: OH is OK with me going outside Europe and not commuting weekly if need be (doesn't really open anything up though), and I have even told an agent to proceed with that contract in Algeria. Considering Al Qaeda North Africa division, that might be making the wrong choice between your money or your life.

And I have put in a couple of applications for permie jobs. They keep getting postponed or filled internally too. Or nobody likes me

=======
        I didn't post to go though that again, I posted to say that I understand why people find themselves in jobs that they don't like.
        Last edited by expat; 9 June 2009, 11:09.

Comment

Sir Alan would never do it - he likes to point the finger as he says "your fired"!
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
            Sir Alan would never do it - he likes to point the finger as he says "your fired"!
            After explaining why, in an admittedly brutal fashion, he at least has the spine to say it to their face.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

After reading this thread, I've just chucked my mobile in the bin. It's a shame because I quite liked the phone, but at least my job's safe now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                he at least has the spine to say it to their face.
                Mich you clearly believe very strongly about the "face to face" part of being fired, but isn't it true that many who are fired in this way are fired by professional (contract) hatchet men, rather than their own boss? I think I'd rather be fired by text.

I used to know one such "HR professional" - he enjoyed his job far too much and I can honestly say was the biggest b*astard I ever met - and I've met a few

Comment

Is there any mileage in a Suralan "You're fired!" voicemail? Could be a Plan B.

Licence it and rent it to HR departments across the land. Recipients would appreciate the funny side and it would cheer them up.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    Mich you clearly believe very strongly about the "face to face" part of being fired, but isn't it true that many who are fired in this way are fired by professional (contract) hatchet men, rather than their own boss? I think I'd rather be fired by text.
                    Unfortunately you're probably right about the hatchet men, and I think that's an even lower form of behaviour, seeing as the hefty rates paid to the hatchet men could have been put into providing proper guidance to the people who've lost their jobs.

Yep, I'm old fashioned about this, and I'm staying that way.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

During my first job after uni I used to have a side gig giving flyers round pubs for a nightclub. Paid 15 quid plus free entry to various clubs in town any night of the week.

Somebody new took over the place and for whatever reason wanted to change the staff. I remember she called to see me. I made the special trip to her office taking time out of my life to do it. Whereupon I was sacked.

The whole thing must have taken three minutes.

I was really pissed off that she didn't just tell me on the phone. She probably thought it was better management or whatever but I would rather just have avoided the hassle. Grrr.

Comment

Working...
                      X