• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Android cometh

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Apple zealot alert

I would have bought an iPhone if it had a decent camera, I have a baby so that's one feature that’s far more important to me than any one of the 35,000 ‘apps’ hence why I've stuck with the N82 for now.

The world hadn't seen anything like the iPhone before and it is impressive but Android is still in its infancy, you'd be daft to think the people behind it weren't planning to give apple a run for their money.

One of the platforms rumoured features 800x480 WVGA screen plus 5mp camera, now that fits my needs unlike the iPhone.
    I have a decent SLR camera, you should try one of those if that's what you're after. Apps on Android are crap it's a software not hardware platform, there is no accelerometer/specific niche components or known hardware spec to develop to so apps will likely never compete, sorry.
    Last edited by Amiga500; 4 June 2009, 22:07.
    You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
      I have a decent SLR camera, you should try one of those if that's what you're after. Apps on Android are crap it's a software not hardware platform, there is no accelerometer/specific niche components or known hardware spec to develop to so apps will likely never compete, sorry.
      Do you carry your SLR everywhere you go? It was an omission that put lots of people off.

Like I said Android is still in its infancy, maybe something else will be better? I'd rather have function over all that app bumph.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        Do you carry your SLR everywhere you go? It was an omission that put lots of people off.

Like I said Android is still in its infancy, maybe something else will be better? I'd rather have function over all that app bumph.
        i'd say wait for the next iPhone, the camera will be better. It really is so much more than just the camera though, although I have gotten great shots with it and I think it's criticism is overly harsh. There is an app called 'night camera' which uses the accelerometer to take shake free shots and another that adds a zoom function and photo enhancing functions...
        You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

When the iphone or any other phone for that matter can do the following, I'd be interested.

1. Project a desktop on to a surface, allowing me to see and use a real desktop.

2. Has instant connectivity to wherever I desire. Eg, instead of clicking on connection manager, waiting for a signal, then connecting, then authenticating, then loading up a profile for TS...bah. I want turn on, connect, use instantly.

3. Has a built in motion sensor, so it can be used when away in a hotel room for example. Point it at a door, so it will alarm if someone enters. Proximity alarm.

4. Is a good as a high spec home pc for playing games, and will project a decent sized screen where desired.

5. Can turn in to a performance capable synth when musical inspiration strikes. I don't mean plinky plink plink. I mean a Korg workstation or equivalent.

6. Has a built in lightsaber for spontaneous duelling with chavs.

7. Never gets lost, and if it does, can self-propel back to the last place I put it.

8. Doesn't run out of power. EVER.

9. Plays a mean game of Risk.

10. Has "attachments"
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
            When the iphone or any other phone for that matter can do the following, I'd be interested.

1. Project a desktop on to a surface, allowing me to see and use a real desktop.

2. Has instant connectivity to wherever I desire. Eg, instead of clicking on connection manager, waiting for a signal, then connecting, then authenticating, then loading up a profile for TS...bah. I want turn on, connect, use instantly.

3. Has a built in motion sensor, so it can be used when away in a hotel room for example. Point it at a door, so it will alarm if someone enters. Proximity alarm.

4. Is a good as a high spec home pc for playing games, and will project a decent sized screen where desired.

5. Can turn in to a performance capable synth when musical inspiration strikes. I don't mean plinky plink plink. I mean a Korg workstation or equivalent.

6. Has a built in lightsaber for spontaneous duelling with chavs.

7. Never gets lost, and if it does, can self-propel back to the last place I put it.

8. Doesn't run out of power. EVER.

9. Plays a mean game of Risk.

10. Has "attachments"
            SKAphone™
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
              This could set the cat among the pigeons...I'm willing to bet the folks at Redmond are paying attention. Open source and built with java api's - it looks very interesting.

Anyone know anything more about this fella?
              I've been coding against the Android APIs for a while now and some of the MMIs are too big for a phone...
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Download the development kit, it comes with an emulator so you can have a play.

A mate of mine has already coded an app that is quite successful.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                  Acer Inc., the world’s second-largest laptop maker, will release a low-cost notebook powered by Android next quarter, Jim Wong, head of information-technology products at the Taipei- based company, said yesterday. Asustek Computer Inc., pioneer of the sub-$500 laptops known as netbooks, also has developed a model that runs on Google’s software, Chairman Jonney Shih said.
                  Sounds like Acer might be hedging their bets with the first Android netbooks though - Engadget are reporting that the initial offering will dual-boot Android and Windows.
                  Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

So what does it say about Linux when Android's been out 5 minutes and major manufacturers are excited and Linux has been out for decades and still lives in the dark ages?

Linux will never displace Windows, but something else from Google, Sony or Apple have a very good chance.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      So what does it say about Linux when Android's been out 5 minutes and major manufacturers are excited and Linux has been out for decades and still lives in the dark ages?
                      Linux will never displace Windows, but something else from Google, Sony or Apple have a very good chance.
                      Crap marketing and no financial clout!

Comment

Working...
                      X