• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain v Germany

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Black
    "I am disturbed that the new administration in Germany is demanding the return to the Deutchmark"

Ooh, having heard that one. Can you imagine the effect on the other Euro-denominated if that happened.

"I swear I can almost hear the rumble of the Panzer tank engines here in Brussels,a point that the Euro Sceptics should take on board."

Alf, thats the Metro, or simply the trains running through Brussel Centraal...unless you start hearing it at 4am in the morning that is.
    Think in fact it was my stomach rumbling, too many fine beers and too much Belgian cusine lst night Jo.

Also I never rise till ten thirty as I start work at eleven and knock off at seven , thats why they call me Burlington Bertie ... perhaps you will recognize me in Brussels during my nocturnal jollys ,do check my pic below ...

Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 27 October 2005, 12:09.

Comment

Alf, very nicely turned out if I must say...

I tried to find a decent picture of my good self but this was the best I could.

And whats your tipple old chap?, I've tried various concoctions but find myself inevitably drawn to Leffe...and Duvel...and Palm...and Steendonk...and...

Comment

Security levels

As many will be aware, the French government recently announced a raise in its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide". The normal level is "General Arrogance", and the only two higher levels in France are "Surrender" and "Collaborate". The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralysing the country's military capability

It's not only the French that are on a heightened level of alert. Italy has increased the alert level from "Shout loudly and excitedly" to "Elaborate military posturing". Two more levels remain, "Ineffective combat operations" and "Change sides" .The Germans also increased their alert state from "Disdain" to "Dress in uniform and sing marching songs". They have two higher levels: Invade a neighbour" and "Lose"

Seeing this reaction in continental Europe the Americans have gone from "Isolationism" to "Find another oil-rich nation for regime change". Their remaining higher alert states are "Attack random countries (ideally those without any credible military)" and "Beg the British for help".

The British are also feeling the pinch in relation to recent bombings and have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies all but ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorized from "Tiresome" to "Bloody Nuisance". The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning level was during the Great Fire of 1666.
        Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
          Alf, very nicely turned out if I must say...

I tried to find a decent picture of my good self but this was the best I could.

And whats your tipple old chap?, I've tried various concoctions but find myself inevitably drawn to Leffe...and Duvel...and Palm...and Steendonk...and...

Very dashing JB.

Good to see that we British have not lost our dress sense whilst posted abroad.

Beer wise it has to be Steendonk Blone , served with a slice of
          lemon, I live pretty close to the Jupiler Beer Musuem, a worthwhile visit especially on this Brusselian summer afternoon in late Ocotober.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
            Very dashing JB.

Good to see that we British have not lost our dress sense whilst posted abroad.

Beer wise it has to be Steendonk Blone , served with a slice of
            lemon, I live pretty close to the Jupiler Beer Musuem, a worthwhile visit especially on this Brusselian summer afternoon in late Ocotober.
            And here's me, in my very own book...

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
              Well Milan has got a plan B so he understands basic economics better than Gordon Brown for a start

DA, you are right that China and India or whoever could catch up, however the Germans do not sit tight and do nothing - they are also moving into higher and higher value-added gear (actually I don't know if they do, but I guess they are) which means that by the time China has caught up, Germany is already on a higher plane.

After all, they've been doing it pretty much since the end of WW2 - manufacturing countries like Japan, the UK and France for example have been trying to catch up, on some occasions they even thought they had caught up, but as has been proven in the last 2 years (byt the export figures), the Germans still have a massive advantage - which to me indicates that they are way ahead of the game.

But as you point, not everything is rosy in Germany. They are facing big unemployment problems. I think the State budget deficit is not looking too good either.

But when people compare the UK with Germany, they always take things in isolation, i.e. unemployment for example. Well, yes the Germans have got more unemployed people than the UK, but they can afford to have so many more.

Take money generated and unemployment together, for example, and then Germany would look in a much better overall shape than the UK. And that confirms the feeling left when visiting both countries - Germany looks so much richer and better managed. A bit more boring too.
              I dont know why you all seem to thinjk that unemployment doesnt matter. It is the most important activity that a person should have. Without a job people lose hope, confidence. It does not matter really whether those in work have high paid jobs, what really matters more than anything is employment.
              What was the single most powerful impetus that drove Germany to elect hitler to power? the misery of unemployment.

That is why recruitment agencies are the most important people on this planet.

We are underpaid, under appreciated and undervalued in light of the great contribution we make towards society.

Show me a country that is poor and I will show you a country that has no recruitment agencies
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                Show me a country that is poor and I will show you a country that has no recruitment agencies
                Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
                  I would say China is the winner.

Anybody else started to learn Mandarin recently ?

Alf Te Ching
                  Over 800million speak it so it can't be that hard, no wot a meen!

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                    Never thought I would ever see the day when my views would converge with those of a Jock
                    Adam Smith was a Jock...

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                      Adam Smith was a Jock...
                      He would be
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X