• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No tulip sherlock award for the BBC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BT are in the tulip and are upsetting clients at quite a rate of knots. I am working on at least two potential clients who I know are about to pull the plug on their outsourcing deals with them and take the work back in house. Both as a result of BT's 'cost cutting' measures.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

lol,

I was at BT GS, I had the misfortune to work with TM guys, what a joke.
      They were so cheap and cost effective that one piece of work farmed out for 2 months at about £300pd. After 2 months and zero progress I did the work in half a day.

hmmm me £200 to do the job TM £12,000 to not do the job. Total cost £12200.

BARGAIN!!!!!!

and the guy doing the work was one of their best, there was worse
      Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof View Post
        lol,

I was at BT GS, I had the misfortune to work with TM guys, what a joke.
        They were so cheap and cost effective that one piece of work farmed out for 2 months at about £300pd. After 2 months and zero progress I did the work in half a day.

hmmm me £200 to do the job TM £12,000 to not do the job. Total cost £12200.

BARGAIN!!!!!!

and the guy doing the work was one of their best, there was worse
        At a bank which shall remain nameless I tested on a project which involved adding one field to a database table, a query, the resulting output file and the xml interface of another app. All built plenty cheapness in India at a cost of 300,000 euros. Basically the Indians were taking advantage of the fact that the bank hadn’t enough technical expertise in house to work out what would be a reasonable budget for such a puny project. I informed the acceptants of my concerns that the project budget seemed a little expensive and they just sighed ‘well the powers that be have told us the Indians are cheaper so we have to use them now’.

And no, what was delivered didn't work.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

On my gig last year in Hong Kong, we had a dev team from Bangalore model building. There were three of them: one who was *very* good - so good, in fact, that I'm trying to get him a visa to come to UK to work for me, one was a fresh grad (read into that what you will) and the third who was basically a waste of DNA.

After HK I went over as supervisory modeller to Saudi Arabia and the team that the clientco had brought in were from a small consultancy in India (can't remember the name) who would basically:

(a) agree with everything I said
          (b) be writing it all down

Indian company blagging their way onto site? No! Perish the thought!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            At a bank which shall remain nameless I tested on a project which involved adding one field to a database table, a query, the resulting output file and the xml interface of another app. All built plenty cheapness in India at a cost of 300,000 euros. Basically the Indians were taking advantage of the fact that the bank hadn’t enough technical expertise in house to work out what would be a reasonable budget for such a puny project. I informed the acceptants of my concerns that the project budget seemed a little expensive and they just sighed ‘well the powers that be have told us the Indians are cheaper so we have to use them now’.

Get their feet under the table under the argument of cheapness then take ten times as long to do something at half the hourly rate. Result: The client gets something that doesn't work for five times the price. Where have I seen this before?

Hopefully all such companies employing myopic off-shoring strategies will be replaced by companies who actually know what they're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

...it very rarely does.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                ...it very rarely does.
                Surely the fault of the PM?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                  Indian company blagging their way onto site? No! Perish the thought!
                  Oh never; at my last clientco some compliancy chappy decided to ask the Indians to produce certificates for all the Masters degrees, Oracle certifications etc that they claimed to have. After much photoshopping and misspelt certificates ('sorry that was version 0.1 of my masters degree yes sir acha!') he determined that about half the Indians supplied by a very well known western insultancy firm had fake diplomas and reported this to senior management, who did nothing (perhaps some of them might have bought their MBAs?).
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

BT are raking it in on other large projects, like the NHS's multi-billion NpFIT money laundering programme. Boomed.

Comment

maybe they they should interview each of these people before they are let near a project.........you know, technical questions etc.....

Comment

Working...
                      X