• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vote Labour and let the good times continue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I didn't start working until the Thatcher era. I've had two short(ish) periods on unemployment - 6 months under Thatcher and 4 during the Major government's masterful handling of the economy.
    I've had almost the opposite experience - in the 80s and 90s I was always able to find work within a few weeks. It's only in the last 7 so-called "boom years" that I've had several months without work, on more than one occasion. Of course, once you start getting "gaps" on the cv it becomes very hard to even get a job interview (at least for permie positions - which is why I now do contracting jobs, when available).
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8076716.stm

House prices in the capital rose by 1.4% in April, according to the Land Registry's figures, taking the average house price in London to £302,411.

Other regions to see a bounce in prices that month were the East and West Midlands, the Eastern region, Wales and the South East.

Recession?

Comment

There was someone on telly the other day who said that the house price rises were the result of a shortage of supply as vendors didn't want to sell into such a weak market.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          I didn't start working until the Thatcher era. I've had two short(ish) periods on unemployment - 6 months under Thatcher and 4 during the Major government's masterful handling of the economy.
          I had an eight month period on the dole under Thatcher, after the tories canned a big, uneconomic project.

I'd been at the same big firm since I left college, in a so-called job-for-life, so for the first time I had to learn new skills and how to go out and find work. That redundancy was the best thing that happened to me.

I had a three month gap under Major, and a couple of two monthers under Blair. And I expect to have more bench-warming under Brown, if he lasts long enough, and Cameron.

Comment

Boomed

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...ee-months.html

Comment

Are people buying houses people with houses?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8076716.stm

House prices in the capital rose by 1.4% in April, according to the Land Registry's figures, taking the average house price in London to £302,411.

Other regions to see a bounce in prices that month were the East and West Midlands, the Eastern region, Wales and the South East.

Recession?

It is mainly people/investors with cash realising that property is in fact the best investment for the long-term. This does not signal and end to the recession at all and I am still hoping for a sustained deflationary period.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  I had an eight month period on the dole under Thatcher, after the tories canned a big, uneconomic project.

I'd been at the same big firm since I left college, in a so-called job-for-life, so for the first time I had to learn new skills and how to go out and find work. That redundancy was the best thing that happened to me.

I had a three month gap under Major, and a couple of two monthers under Blair. And I expect to have more bench-warming under Brown, if he lasts long enough, and Cameron.

I have only ever been out of work under New Labour and it looks like many other poor souls are going to suffer badly, especially those new to the jobs market after wasting their time at university. They've encouraged offshoring and immigration and now we are all reaping the 'rewards' for the past 12 years of this ridiculous policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                    I have only ever been out of work under New Labour ..:
                    The fact that you couldn't coin it under the biggest boom in British history (fake or otherwise) says more about you than about Labour.
                    And if the Tories come in I don't suppose they'll announce a "Back to work for Twunts" scheme, do you?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                      I have only ever been out of work under New Labour

So you are a Tory MP
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X