• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Benched? Need some work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Honestly trying to help .. just wanted to point out that this spec is a bit vague:

1: "totally unreliable" - do you mean he refuses to drop whatever he is currently doing or that he does not deliver on his promises?

Example - disappears for weeks on end with no communication, usually after being paid.

2: "charges exorbitant rates" - as we are all aware - we can and do charge whatever we can get away with! You obviously have a "reasonable " rate in mind -is the difference between exorbitant and reasonable an order of magnitude ? could you quantify further.

He keeps upping his rates because he knows we don't have anybody else, he started on a good rate.

3: "The client needs someone who can take ownership of the project" All well and good - but with full ownership, comes full responsibility if things goes tits up... surely that is worth a premium on the rate.

Yes it is but not stretching into exorbitant / I've got you over a barrel territory.

4: "and be available to make any changes on an ad hoc basis" what is a reasonable expectation around this? - the client is in the US - (which time zone btw) and wants a change made at say noon EST - would he expect that to happen same day bearing in mind it's already 17:00 in UK. What are the existing SLAs between your client and the incumbent developer?

Client is in the west coast. There's never been any pressure to get projects completed same day or even same week. Sometime this month is usual but as this guy keeps disappearing what should take 3-4 days ends up taking months.

Full spec PM'd to to anybody interested.

I am interested, seriously. It sounds like even given the time taken to rehash my python skills and learn a new framework, I'd still knock spots off the previous guy. And I promise to answer my phone.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      Seriously...

I need a Django / Python dev. Work from home. PM me if yer up for it.

Agents - flip off
      In fact, I have just gone back to the barbecue, put my beer down, and returned to the laptop to bolster my argument a bit. Show willing and that.

I checked out Django, and reckon I could pick it up quickly. And here are the reasons for my thinking :

I have excellent knowledge of Drupal (the php based open source CMS)
      I have written python for Plone based CMS sites.
      I have used ORM in the guise of Hibernate for java.
      I am someone who has always coded (like age 5 upwards, Z80, x86)
      I have good C and C++ level experience, not just another VB6 hack.
      I developed a windows vista TCP/IP filter driver last Christmas while benched "for a laugh", born to code.
      I am working away in Knutsford, and come 5:00 have **** all to do, besides surf for doom, post on here and do some background reading in interesting technologies.

I was surpised this was not jumped on immediately buy other benched types, but then again, not everyone is able to transfer their skills, or as willing I guess.

I think I can get to grips, and would not post otherwise. I think if you are interested we should switch to PMs. Let me know.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        In fact, I have just gone back to the barbecue, put my beer down, and returned to the laptop to bolster my argument a bit. Show willing and that.

I checked out Django, and reckon I could pick it up quickly. And here are the reasons for my thinking :

I have excellent knowledge of Drupal (the php based open source CMS)
        I have written python for Plone based CMS sites.
        I have used ORM in the guise of Hibernate for java.
        I am someone who has always coded (like age 5 upwards, Z80, x86)
        I have good C and C++ level experience, not just another VB6 hack.
        I developed a windows vista TCP/IP filter driver last Christmas while benched "for a laugh", born to code.
        I am working away in Knutsford, and come 5:00 have **** all to do, besides surf for doom, post on here and do some background reading in interesting technologies.

I was surpised this was not jumped on immediately buy other benched types, but then again, not everyone is able to transfer their skills, or as willing I guess.

I think I can get to grips, and would not post otherwise. I think if you are interested we should switch to PMs. Let me know.
        Any joy yet????
        Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Working...
        X