• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extra hoops to get the job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought this was going to be a topical thread about finding the next manager for Celtic FC.

Today The Herald contributes this to the debate

<
    A Celtic supporter explains to us that Gordon Strachan was not universally liked as manager because he was not Celtic-minded.

The supporter adds: "So the Celtic board is determined to get someone with Irish roots, who has experience of European competitions, as the new manager.

"That's why they've approached Terry Wogan."
    >
    If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

Am I the only one here that had to look up "heuristic website evaluation"?

I might have to study this myself
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        On the other hand working as a business you often have to invest time without getting paid. For instance if you are bidding on some work, asking about what the client wants, working out your estimated time/cost to do the work, etc.
        True - but a few thousand words sounds a bit much. Surely you'd write in general terms about what needed doing and submit it with the estimated cost of doing the work?
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Personally I'm getting more satisfaction by listening to agent bulltulip.

TEKSystems (wow they sound good) told me they were different because they form a relationship with the contractor not the client. As a result they need to take 2 technical references in order to do some pre-initerview vetting. Bwah ha ha.

Some cockspanner then tried to talk me down from the lofty heights of £20 an hour. Had I known that rate I wouldn't have even hit submit.

Now I get rid of them by telling them to drop their margin, usually works pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
            True - but a few thousand words sounds a bit much. Surely you'd write in general terms about what needed doing and submit it with the estimated cost of doing the work?
            Outside the world of IT, some company's I've worked for have had to spend £10s of thousands of pounds putting tender documents together for contracts with no guarantee of success and often not getting the order.

If things are quiet and contractors would rather be sat on the bench, that's fine. But hats off to you for rolling your sleeves up and getting the gig, that afterall is what it's all about.
            'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
              The job is through an agency with a daily rate so it was not really a situation in which you would give an estimate for a set piece of work. I think the idea behind the exercise was to see who could pull their finger out and deliver something within a deadline (I had one day to complete the piece incidentally).

As mentioned earlier consultants often work without charging, after all our customers are our clients and so giving a bit extra can't really hurt. As I said the cynical 'holier than thou' contractor attitude of the past is probably wearing a bit thin in current economic times.
              You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post

I might have to study this myself
                I wish somebody writing http://www.britoval.com/home/surrey-cricket had studied it.

It's a f'in nightmare
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
                  Personally I'm getting more satisfaction by listening to agent bulltulip.

TEKSystems (wow they sound good) told me they were different because they form a relationship with the contractor not the client. As a result they need to take 2 technical references in order to do some pre-initerview vetting. Bwah ha ha.

Some cockspanner then tried to talk me down from the lofty heights of £20 an hour. Had I known that rate I wouldn't have even hit submit.

Now I get rid of them by telling them to drop their margin, usually works pretty quickly.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                    No. What's a "heuristic" anyway? Is it some kind of beaver?
                    Bored.

Comment

I had to do one the other day - for a car manufacturer. Spec was to produce a website and marketing strategy for one of their models.

This was to be even considered for an interview i.e may or may not be interviewed based on i what i produce. Totally grim, took me a good half a day to produce the site.

Wierd thing is that the role isnt for either marketing or web design!

Comment

Working...
                      X