• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just bought a Merc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Alfas are now slightly better designed rebadged Fiats for girly boys. Gone are the days when they were really cool - the days of the wooden steering wheel Alfetta GTV (totally impractical but what a presence) , the song of the 3 litre Twin Spark 164 (box shaped but probably the only well made Alfa of its era), and finally the 155 2 litre (another boxy car but sweet as a nut to drive). The days when men were men and owning an Alfa meant you HAD to have mechanic skills Brings a tear to the old eye.

http://www.motorbase.com/profiles/ve...9;p=2106528185
    http://www.digest.net/alfa/FAQ/164/alfa_164_5.jpg
    http://www.comp.co.uk/gallery/pics/A...%20MO%2017.jpg
    So what should a real man on a family budget drive these days? An MPS would never break down so no kudos for being a brazen risk taker there, it's not exactly stylish either.

A bit of IT geeks car if you ask me... then I still drive an old school Type-R.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Women are impressed by:

1. Badges

If your car is a prestige badge (BMW, Merc, Porsche etc), they will always be impressed. It shows you have some money they can spend for you.

2. Looks

If a car looks really nice (even if it a Hyundai Coupe) they will be impressed. It shows you have style.

The Mazda MPS does not score on either of those metrics.

For that reason, I'm out.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Women are impressed by:

1. Badges

If your car is a prestige badge (BMW, Merc, Porsche etc), they will always be impressed. It shows you have some money they can spend for you.

2. Looks

If a car looks really nice (even if it a Hyundai Coupe) they will be impressed. It shows you have style.

Yes but you're short, fat and balding.

I'm tall and good looking so could drive a 20 yr Hyundai 3-wheeler and still score.

HTH
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Women are impressed by:

1. Badges

2. Looks

You are such a tw@
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post

You are such a tw@
            Hey, the truth hurts.

Comment

Hey, the truth hurts.

So you really are short, fat and balding.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post

You are such a tw@
                Actually, at the price I've just paid, it shows I've now run out of money and Mrs Tester can pay the restaurant bills for the next few weeks.

Still, I didn't buy it for her. I drive it, I like it, so that's all that counts.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

BMW and Merc spend 95% of the budget on adverts, press junkets and (press) cars and 5% on the cars.
                  Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 27 May 2009, 17:52.

Comment

My first road car was a Merc, a beige coloured 220/8 auto. Gosh it was a good car. Wish I'd never got rid of it.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X