• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Come on Burnley!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Not quite sure what you're definition of fashionable is.

If you mean glory seekers, then any club outside of the big four isn't fashionable. Other than that I assumed you meant location - in which case they've a natural advantage for luring most foreign based players ...
    Off the top of my head I struggle to name many decent foreign players that have been lured to Fulham.

I don't think it's necessarily location. Being close to Chelsea doesn't make QPR or Brentford fashionable.

Fulham are a stodgy, inglorious club, unlike Villa, Everton or Spurs who have major trophies and history, especially in Europe. Fulham don't set the pulse racing, and next season when they play in Europe there will be clubs abroad saying "who?"

Of course, should they win the Europa Cup that could all change.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      Off the top of my head I struggle to name many decent foreign players that have been lured to Fulham.

I don't think it's necessarily location. Being close to Chelsea doesn't make QPR or Brentford fashionable.

Fulham are a stodgy, inglorious club, unlike Villa, Everton or Spurs who have major trophies and history, especially in Europe. Fulham don't set the pulse racing, and next season when they play in Europe there will be clubs abroad saying "who?"

Of course, should they win the Europa Cup that could all change.
      Nah, not buying that for one sec.

It's cash and the lure of European football that would make Johnny Foreigner prefer Villa, Everton or Spurs to Fulham. All things being equal most O/S players would prefer to be based in London than Birmingham or Liverpool - granted prob spurs before Fulham.

And sorry to break it to you, but the vast majority of overseas fans don't follow any of the teams outside of the top four. They're a long way from glamorous - when's the last time any of them signed a player and they talked about how they were looking forward to representing such a world wide famous club ...
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
        Oh yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just hope we can keep it up next season.

Well done the team and management. Great spirit and belief all season.

Are the rest of you footie fans not going to congratulate Burnley on their return to top flight footie?

Well done Burnley. Their return to the topflight is long overdue after 33 years. They play football the right way and I have always had a soft spot for them for that reason.
        I think they can stay up, as they have shown this season that they can beat top teams in their cup run. If they treat each game as a cup game next season they will do well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
          Well done Burnley. Their return to the topflight is long overdue after 33 years. They play football the right way and I have always had a soft spot for them for that reason.
          I think they can stay up, as they have shown this season that they can beat top teams in their cup run. If they treat each game as a cup game next season they will do well.
          To be fair some of those cup sides were not full strength teams but Burnleys football has been great to watch this season (for the few matches I got to).
          Attitude of both management, team and fans has been superb.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
            Nah, not buying that for one sec.

It's cash and the lure of European football that would make Johnny Foreigner prefer Villa, Everton or Spurs to Fulham. All things being equal most O/S players would prefer to be based in London than Birmingham or Liverpool - granted prob spurs before Fulham.

And sorry to break it to you, but the vast majority of overseas fans don't follow any of the teams outside of the top four. They're a long way from glamorous - when's the last time any of them signed a player and they talked about how they were looking forward to representing such a world wide famous club ...
            No no, I never said they follow those sides, they merely know them. Many will have seen Villa, Everton and Spurs play against sides in their country, and they've all won European trophies.

It's like our knowledge of Benfica, Ajax, Inter Milan, Valencia, Dynamo Kiev, Dukla Prague and even Anderlecht - we associate them as significant clubs with a bit of european history and glamour. But how many of us have heard of Stade Rennais?

Europeans have never heard of Fulham.

Having said all that, at least Burnley have played in the European Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              No no, I never said they follow those sides, they merely know them. Many will have seen Villa, Everton and Spurs play against sides in their country, and they've all won European trophies.

It's like our knowledge of Benfica, Ajax, Inter Milan, Valencia, Dynamo Kiev, Dukla Prague and even Anderlecht - we associate them as significant clubs with a bit of european history and glamour. But how many of us have heard of Stade Rennais?

Europeans have never heard of Fulham.

Having said all that, at least Burnley have played in the European Cup.
              They'll have heard of them for sure, but these days everyone watches the EPL so they'll have heard of Fulham as well. I'm not sure past glories equates to fashionable for a foreign player these days.

I think the money, competition in Europe, ambition,location etc are all more important than what any of those clubs have achieved in the past.

I think the fashionable argument could only be made for a top 4 side, in which case some players would take less money to play for them. I'm sure if it came to a straight offer from Villa or Fulham, and Fulham were paying more then most players (Mercenary as they are) would choose Fulham.
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                To be fair some of those cup sides were not full strength teams but Burnleys football has been great to watch this season (for the few matches I got to).
                Attitude of both management, team and fans has been superb.
                Will it still be great if Owen Coyle leaves to go to Celtic though?
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  Will it still be great if Owen Coyle leaves to go to Celtic though?
                  Why would he though?

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                    Why would he though?
                    Ambition coupled with the fact they are "his team", if you get my drift.
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                      Ambition coupled with the fact they are "his team", if you get my drift.
                      I think the Celtic job has come a year to early for him. I can't see him leaving Burnley having just got them promoted, but if it all goes pear shaped this year and they go back down he might be looking for a new gig.

Comment

Working...
                      X