• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: House prices continue long slide, says website

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW
    If people in London choose to pay double to live in a crappy conditions then its their own problem -- I choose to live in a nice place and I won't be buying house unless its as good as the one I rent.
    How about Siberia? I heard prices over there are good.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
      Franco, Siberia is a truly beautiful place and one could do a lot worse than to live there. You should visit.
      Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Have you ever been to Birmingham, Franco? Contrary to what you might think, it is the greenest city in the UK.

Comment

Cr@ppy places

ATW, I am glad you like Brum, and I am sure quite a few others on this board, do not really want live in Birmingham. especially 2 miles drive from the nearest boozer.
          There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
            Have you ever been to Birmingham, Franco? Contrary to what you might think, it is the greenest city in the UK.
            Been to B'ham. Not a long time to be fair. It seems like a chav place for what I could have seen. If I was just looking for green then I would go to Lithuania, not Birmingham. From a city I would expect culture, entertainment, historical places, museums, nice palaces, etc. etc. Is it all of that in B'ham? Can you compare it to London? Remember that I was born in Rome so every city to me just looks so dull and boring, would imagine B'ham would rather appeal to me as much as a graveyard. Where can you go there? The fountain in the center (Victoria square, was it?)? And then? Walk a couple of miles of malls? I tried to see a small Trevi's Fountain with a few chavs around but really failed at this purpose.
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Been to B'ham.
              I don't believe it. A soft southern type like you would never have got out alive.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan
                especially 2 miles drive from the nearest boozer.
                Eh? Have you heard of Harbourne Mile? Thats well known pubs on local High Street that is ... 5 minutes walk from my house - 0.5 mile as calculated by my car's odometer!

There are sure nasty parts of Brum I would not want to live in, but how many of those crap sides are in London? Its probably worse there -- at least here I can find a GOOD place for reasonable money, and how much would it cost to do the same in London? Fking loads more.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  [...] Fking loads more.
                  How much can you get for a good permie position in Brum? 30k???? In London even graduates get that almost. Same applies to contracts, of course.

Comment

How much can you get for a good permie position in Brum? 30k???? In London even graduates get that almost
                    You are forgetting about 40% for anything above 35k. And also you forget ridiculous transport costs in London and general expensiveness. What's worse (for me) that generally houses are MUCH smaller than the ones outside of London and I prefer to actually be in a nice house than sh1thole.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                      You are forgetting about 40% for anything above 35k.
                      So there is no point earning more than 35k???

Not only London transport prices are outrageous, it's the WHOLE UK transport system that is obscenely overpriced. Yes, London houses are smaller. Just as in every capital in Europe. No surprise about that.

Comment

Working...
                      X