• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomed!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    ...There's little doubt that you must be an exact fit for the requirements, and no question of clients stretching a point with any of the "desirable" skills you may lack (which is probably their loss in many cases).
    Those days are definitely numbered though (it's how numbered that is difficult to gauge). Yes there's a lot of people out there hunting for each role, but a lot of them are dross. And once things turn around the better contractors will be in high demand because so many companies have cut beyond the bone. They know that, and nerves are starting to creep in because they don't want to miss the opportunity of snapping up the talent that is available (and rest assured, a lot of companies are aware of the figures indicating that a big proportion of folk in IT are planning to jump ship as soon as there is an upturn).

So to the folk who are gig-hunting...keep your chin up. Sooner or later it is going to go crazy.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
      Those days are definitely numbered though (it's how numbered that is difficult to gauge). Yes there's a lot of people out there hunting for each role, but a lot of them are dross. And once things turn around the better contractors will be in high demand because so many companies have cut beyond the bone. They know that, and nerves are starting to creep in because they don't want to miss the opportunity of snapping up the talent that is available (and rest assured, a lot of companies are aware of the figures indicating that a big proportion of folk in IT are planning to jump ship as soon as there is an upturn).

So to the folk who are gig-hunting...keep your chin up. Sooner or later it is going to go crazy.
      Completely agree, I've been in for roles where ordinarily I would get an interview and more often than not an offer - I hadn't even been getting called back in 99% of occasions this time round.

A lot of roles I was applying for were going to guys who more than likely had been involved on a project in an investment bank not a project planner or PMO resource
      Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
      I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by tino View Post
        Completely agree, I've been in for roles where ordinarily I would get an interview and more often than not an offer - I hadn't even been getting called back in 99% of occasions this time round.

A lot of roles I was applying for were going to guys who more than likely had been involved on a project in an investment bank not a project planner or PMO resource
        In the last couple of weeks I’ve seen a number of roles advertised that were advertised a few months ago at ridiculously low rates; the rates are still low, but in all cases 5 or ten euros higher. I thought they were just fishing exercises but called a couple of the agents out of interest; turns out there’s a high turnover of people in the cheapo contracts; permies who’ve tried contracting out of desperation and taken a low rate are returning to permiedom as soon as they find a permie job. Other contracts are opening up because the plenty-cheapness people who took the contract at the beginning of the year turned out to be tulip.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Blimey if you can do then there's hope for us all!

Only kidding mate, well done - forget the rate you are doing all you can. I am in a similar position and if I could just land something to put me on for a month or 2...

Comment

Well done sir!

Your news has put a smile on my face

I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

good man, well done

I've got a phone call with agency tomorrow to discuss my current position at clientco.

Comment

Congrats Jedi
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Nice one GJ
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Good job buddy. It gives me hope...

Comment

Working...
                    X