• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tyre sabotage brings race to halt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Ok, but I'd suggest that to do that you'd have to put a cycle lane on every road in the country - which is obviously impracticable.

You go on to suggest that I would need a licence (as a cyclist) to use the road where there isn't a cycle path - would you extend this to all other road users (pedestrians, horse riders spring to mind immediately, but I'm sure there are other interest groups) ?

You seem to be tarring all cyclists as inconsiderate of other road users. I contend that that isn't the case - it's just a small minority of ignorant people in all groups which seems to cause the friction.

FWIW, I drive and ride a push bike. I like to think I don't fall in the ignorant subset of either group, but that is obviously subjective.
    I would like to see cycle paths on all roads. Though I would designate some roads as cycle paths and ban traffic or at least put in a very slow speed limit and traffic calming measures.

Pedsetrians dont use roads they use footpaths. Yes I would do the same for horse riders and other road users too.

I would suggest from my experience that it is not a small minority of cyclists. The decent ones are the minority. That is my experience. I may just have been unlucky.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
      I would like to see cycle paths on all roads. Though I would designate some roads as cycle paths and ban traffic or at least put in a very slow speed limit and traffic calming measures.

Pedsetrians dont use roads they use footpaths. Yes I would do the same for horse riders and other road users too.

I would suggest from my experience that it is not a small minority of cyclists. The decent ones are the minority. That is my experience. I may just have been unlucky.

Mostly, fair enough - I'd love to see the roads changed the way you suggest, but I can't agree with you about pedestrians.

I've nearly hit pedestrians crossing the road on a couple of occasions where they simply haven't been looking where they are going or listening to my bell (both occasions the lights were green to road traffic).
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Mostly, fair enough - I'd love to see the roads changed the way you suggest, but I can't agree with you about pedestrians.

I've nearly hit pedestrians crossing the road on a couple of occasions where they simply haven't been looking where they are going or listening to my bell (both occasions the lights were green to road traffic).
        I would make pedestrians fair game and inelligable for insurance claims if they were not crossing properly or paying attention or crossing within 150 yards of a designated crossing etc.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
          I would make pedestrians fair game and inelligable for insurance claims if they were not crossing properly or paying attention or crossing within 150 yards of a designated crossing etc.
          Sold.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
          X