• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dell order

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ordered an APC Smart UPS5000 from Dell late last year - they sent 2 by mistake (only invoiced for one). Been trying to get them to collect it for 6 months. Now they've sent me an email saying I can keep it as a "gesture of goodwill"
    A bad workman blames his fools

EDIT: *tools

stupid keyboard.

http://twitter.com/TheAnonTechGuy

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      ... use 2 old desktops as servers and they never fail...
      Hmm, server, that's an idea. I was thinking of whipping out the hard drives and dumping the rest. For one thing the fan needs replacing as it makes an awful racket now. But I could use it as a server and get a new fan. I don't think I have need for a file or print server, but it might be good as a web & DB server, for practise.

Has anyone done anything useful or interesting with their old PCs, specifically on the server side?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Has anyone done anything useful or interesting with their old PCs, specifically on the server side?
        My very old desktop is what I call my server. It is the PC connected to the internet and is running WinGate. The rest of the network is connected to a network card in that PC and so none are directly connected. That server acts as a firewall. No data is stored on it.

Whenever I download anything, it gets saved on the server and never deleted (until a more recent version of thing is downloaded). That makes rebuilding PCs a lot quicker. In effect, that is a glorified FTP cache.

That PC also drives at least one networked printer. It also has a modem configured for dial-up for when the broadband doesn't work.

It is also the PC that drives the webcam that points out of the window.

On my desk I have two PCs. The fast one has the large screen and is for doing actually work, especially on documents. The other (my laptop) is for research and email: Google, Wikipedia, Thunderbird, DigiGuide and CUK.

I am not looking forward to working at a ClientCo where I only have one screen on the desk - how quaint.
        Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Working...
        X