• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Living right in Central London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    Used to own a tiny flat in Fitzrovia 10 yrs ago. Absolutely loved it great part of town to be. Gutted when I sold it on.
    Some cracking pubs with plenty of new media and student eye candy. Whats not to like?
    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
      Any experience of people living right in the center of London? And I mean Covent Garden or Westminster, no, I don't mean Richmond or Kew Gardens sorry.... :-)

What is it like if you have children to be there?
      Sounds like afterall it is not that incredibly expensive as people might think.
      Funny, I went through the same dilemma a week ago, having just moved to London. Not knowing much about different areas, I first went for central, cheap and horrible (Lambeth), but, at least in my view, that's no place to raise your kids.
      Then I looked in Covent Garden etc, basically just minutes from where I work.
      The flats are really tiny (for instance no doors - you walk straigh out of the lift, beds come out of walls - kinda cool but only as a pied d'terre) as space is expensive.
      Assuming that yours or my family could live in such a cramped space without killing each other, once you do get out, it's equally crowded on the street, to the point where you can't walk around with a baby's pushchair. There are no big supermarkets, the closest thing to it I use atm is Tesco Metro near Piccadilly Circus, but the prices are 50% higher because you can't get the big items, plus there's a limited selection anyway, I have no idea why people are even bothered to use the cars in the centre as it's far quicker to just walk.

In contrast you can get a nice flat, with a private garden in Kew for half the price you mentioned. I hate to waste so much time on the commute, but the financial side is almost neglible (ca £120 pcm - Kew is still Zone 3).

So guess which way I went?

Comment

Any experience of people living right in the center of London? And I mean Covent Garden or Westminster, no, I don't mean Richmond or Kew Gardens sorry.... :-)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...inBedrooms%3D2
        I lived in W1 for a while, bedroom window on to the street, 4am bin collection every day followed by 5am deliveries
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
          I lived in W1 for a while, bedroom window on to the street, 4am bin collection every day followed by 5am deliveries
          The homeless hostel is not very well positioned, eh?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Was it the one with the red light?
            I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

I lived in Amsterdam for a while, bedroom window on to the street
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...inBedrooms%3D2
                I lived just off Leicester Square some years ago, and it was OK apart from the lack of a large supermarket nearby.

Also the slamming of taxi doors, sirens, screeching of brakes, and Hooray Henries or Jack the Lads (hard to tell the difference from a distance) kicking up a row half the night could be annoying.

Also, the West End is literally heaving with people on friday and saturday night, which isn't to everyone's taste (certainly not mine).
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I lived in W1 for years and loved it.

I've just found the flat I used to own offered to let for 500pw. I'm tempted to phone up the agent to see if it's been let out because it won't sell. If so, maybe I should buy it back? I miss that flat so much. It broke my heart when I sold it, but it had to go.

Maybe not. Being on the run and all that. They might find me.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by strawberrysmoothie View Post
                    when living in london some broughs charge over £1500 for the year)
                    You don't know you're born, here in Edinburgh may council tax bill is £2200.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      You don't know you're born, here in Edinburgh may council tax bill is £2200.

Read it and weep:
                      http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/Home/Co...on.htm#howmuch
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X