• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wierd Phenomena

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Maybe it was. In fact it was the one wierd experience that really made me a skeptic. I have never believed the little green men theories, although ball lightning intrigues me. Unfortunately it's one of those mysteries that seems to attract a lot of loonies, so a really good scientific explanation of the phenomenon and a good description of how it looks might help me to clarify what I think I saw.

Equally, if it's just a faulty memory, I find it interesting to know why the brain would act that way; what evolutionary purpose is served by a memory that isn't real?
    I saw an interesting horizon program (probably 10 years ago or more) on ball lightning. They tried to replicate it, and managed to do it for a split second (I think).

Here is a link to the sort of think that few over cheddar: Linky.

Faulty memory is very interesting. I recently read "A mind of its own", which has quite a lot on false memories. It generally boils down to:
    The deluded brain: It can't take in all the information, so it has to make a lot of it up. - We think we are seeing reality, when what we are actually seeing is our brains best guess.

The pigheadded brain: False memories are useful in keeping us feeling important and right. If we actually realised that we are not important and that our view is probably wrong, then suicide may become more desirable.
    Originally posted by cailin maith
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
      On boxing day last year, a Chinese lantern flew over cheddar. It was orange, and was glowing from the candle inside it.

It looked really great on an ice cold day silently floating over the house.
      Thank you. I saw scores of glowing orange things in groups of three, floating over Bognor Regis at Xmas in the night.

That matches what I saw very nicely.

(Sorry, I didn't phone the police, the RAF or the papers. I didn't panic, claim to have been abducted by aliens or a reincarnation of a South American space-faring Indian. I just thought "Interesting. How did they do that? And is it dangerous to light aircraft or likely to cause fires downwind like Luftwaffe incendiary bombs?". Am I normal?)
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        No, Warton build aircraft, weird and wonderful ones but not missiles.
        I've worked at Warton, they don't build the missiles, but the aircraft do carry them.
        I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
        X