• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UFOs and Aliens corner

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
    Wrong:

There is a cosmonaught that is very close to leaving our solar system:

Linky
    I didn't read the entire article, but bear in mind our solar system is around a light year in radius, so 29,000km/h for 45 years won't even cover 1% of that. But yes, dead bodies do have more far potential for space travel.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
      It would take 100,000 years travelling at the speed of light just to get across the Milky Way. So, as you say, there would need to be some kind of new physics. But they're making up new stuff all the time, so someone will probably find the answer eventually.
      The physics doesn't change though, just our understanding of it. And understanding it doesn't change any fundamental limits.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
        It would take 100,000 years travelling at the speed of light just to get across the Milky Way. So, as you say, there would need to be some kind of new physics. But they're making up new stuff all the time, so someone will probably find the answer eventually.

I like the time travel theory myself; that the UFOs and aliens people keep seeing are actually future humans in time machines. Far easier to get your head round that one than the coincidence of other planets having evolved lifeforms pretty much identical to ourselves, give or take a stretched head here and there.
        Wormholes. The concept of attaching huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge amounts of energy to a specific point in space-time and then bending it thus connecting two points together is attractive but I've not the first clue about how on earth (or off-earth) one would go about doing it.

Comment

Anomaly is the way to go.
          I saw it on primeval

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
            Wormholes. The concept of attaching huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge amounts of energy to a specific point in space-time and then bending it thus connecting two points together is attractive but I've not the first clue about how on earth (or off-earth) one would go about doing it.
            Trouble is if you want something to go <--- that way, you also have to send something --> that way. Conservation of momentum is a rock of physical law, it works everywhere. Likewise the centre of mass of the universe has probably not moved since it's creation and never will, so moving an object from one place to another using Star Trek physics needs a bit further explaining.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Trouble is if you want something to go <--- that way, you also have to send something --> that way. Conservation of momentum is a rock of physical law, it works everywhere. Likewise the centre of mass of the universe has probably not moved since it's creation and never will, so moving an object from one place to another using Star Trek physics needs a bit further explaining.
              I'm sure the ancient Egyptians thought they knew it all - but did they have TVs & fast jet planes? No they did not.
              Physicists know very, very little - I mean even gravity is an unknown. 70% of the stuff in the universe? No idea.
              So a species that's been around a million years would probably know an awful lot of things we don't. Therefore comparisons to our current knowledge don't hold water.
              And I don't know what you're on about with that "centre of mass of the universe" nonsense.
              Bored.

Comment

There's a simple test of whether aliens have visited:

Are we all dead yet?

'Cos if they see our warlike nature, they'll see us off by diverting an asteroid from the Oort belt pretty damn quick.

Assuming the interstellar torpedo isn't already on its way...

We really do need to build a settlement off this rock very, very soon. Just in case...
                Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                  There's a simple test of whether aliens have visited:

Are we all dead yet?

'Cos if they see our warlike nature, they'll see us off by diverting an asteroid from the Oort belt pretty damn quick.

Assuming the interstellar torpedo isn't already on its way...

We really do need to build a settlement off this rock very, very soon. Just in case...

Why? Self preservation? Bollocks, I wouldn't inflict the shower of sh!t that is "humanity" on any other planet.

Wipe it all out and let <insert Deity of choice here> start again!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    Why? Self preservation? Bollocks, I wouldn't inflict the shower of sh!t that is "humanity" on any other planet.

Wipe it all out and let <insert Deity of choice here> start again!
                    Would they really waste any energy on us?
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      Would they really waste any energy on us?
                      You've got a point.

Anyway. Oblivion? Bring it on!

Comment

Working...
                      X