• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London to Paris

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    So you reckon 4 months training is not enough?
    I used to be a fairly good cyclist in my early days and have done the London-Brighton which is about 60 miles (fairly hilly). It depends on your age, physical condition etc. But going up those hills really generates the lactic acid in your muscles.
    4 months training - Go for it - sounds like an interesting challenge. But remember you have to get out there - don't think training solely in a gym will be adequate!
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

4 Months is plenty of training time if you can devote about 5 hours a week (either two short rides or one long one).

100 miles on the road isn't that far (figure 10 hours with stops at a sedate pace under 6 if you push it).

Get a hybrid bike (or a "Sports Commuter") with 700C wheels as it will be geared to your requirement (not that much of a cyclist, going on the road) and you won't use the drops on a racer anyway.

I might be joining you for the ride - I saw the advert in the paper the other day and I quite fancy it.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Even if you are fit you'll struggle to do 100 miles. Depends on the terrain though. If flat or downhill its easy
        If uphill and you haven't used those muscles for a while forget it.
        I reckon 100 miles is London to Dover? So means crossing the North Downs

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          I reckon 100 miles is London to Dover? So means crossing the North Downs
          Well remember for every up there's usually a down. So you can recover. The best part of cycling is free-wheeling down a gentle incline for a mile or two.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            So you reckon 4 months training is not enough?
            Possibly if you are prepared to ride gently. Get a modern hybrid bike with 24 gears and tough no-puncture tyres. Start with a 10 mile ride, ride three times a week and build up by about 5-7 miles each week. Don’t bother with racing bikes if you don’t have to go fast; you need to be comfortable. Mrs Tester and I have Gazelle hybrid bikes with no add-ons except butterfly handlebars which allow you to use different hand positions while riding and we regularly ride more then 100kms for a weekend away. Mind you, that's in NL which is mostly flat and covered in cycle paths. Eat like there’s no tomorrow the night before and the morning of the ride and take plenty of fluids and snacks.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Well remember for every up there's usually a down. So you can recover. The best part of cycling is free-wheeling down a gentle incline for a mile or two.
              Free wheeling down the A20 you will probably get run over a couple of times. Maybe just once if you are lucky.....

Comment

The best part of cycling is free-wheeling down a gentle incline for a mile or two.
                pumping the thighs, heart and lungs to near exploding point on an up hill you cannot see the end of
                Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
                  pumping the thighs, heart and lungs to near exploding point on an up hill you cannot see the end of
                  Sorry this thread is about cycling not masochism.
                  Or machoism for that matter.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
                    Ah, a fellow lactic acid addict! I used to get my lactic acid kicks from 200 metre and 400 metre races, but now I enjoy murderous sprint-recovery training sessions for rugby combined with ‘21’ sets in the weights room (7 reps to halfway, 7 reps halfway to the end of the movement, 7 whole movements) and evil kettlebell sessions. Lactic acid is highly addictive. Wonderful, delicious pain. Now then, where’s CM with her spanking paddle?
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                      4 Months is plenty of training time if you can devote about 5 hours a week (either two short rides or one long one).
                      That's the plan, 2 rides during the week of increasing length and at least 1 long ride on the weekends.

Get a hybrid bike (or a "Sports Commuter") with 700C wheels as it will be geared to your requirement (not that much of a cyclist, going on the road) and you won't use the drops on a racer anyway.
                      Why not a racer. Surely the lighter the better for a novice?

I might be joining you for the ride - I saw the advert in the paper the other day and I quite fancy it.
                      Come on! It's for charidee!

Comment

Working...
                      X