• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Could you live on 60 quid a week?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much is a quid? I seem to remember it is £1000?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      How much is a quid? I seem to remember it is £1000?
      It will be if Labour party wins next term in office...

Comment

I don’t know about the UK but in NL we have a weird and wacky system that subsidizes people who’ve been unemployed and on benefit for 18 months to start their own businesses. It’s a top class idea; hand public money to those who have the least chance of making a business succeed and then clobber the bastards into the gutter when they go bankrupt, especially seeing as you need 18000 euros of capital to set up a Ltd here. It’s rather like throwing money at failed banks, but cheaper and less humane. Why not provide incentives and help for people to start up new businesses the very moment they lose their job and are still in a mentally and emotionally fit state to make it work? OK, so some of those businesses would fail too, but they’d start with a decent chance, some capital and enthousiasm and the businesses that do succeed would employ more people.

Just trying to be creative here and think in terms of solving problems instead of subsidizing poverty.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
          On the contrary -

Any government which is capable of spending eye watering astronomical sums during an economic slump to the US defence industries - so they can destroy the planet 4 times rather than twice - can afford to ensure that all their citizens live in a dignified manner.
          I'm sure there's some reason why it's not supposed to work that way. Can't remember what it is right now, though.

Comment

No.

HTH.

Comment

Being able to eat at the terrace canteen with this menu would help.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                pay attention to the spec.
                He asked, can you live on £60, heating, food, clothing

now just think hard about that for a minute.
                That's why I answered yes. I read the spec and I know what I spend on the items mentioned.

I have a small house (post divorce) that doesn't cost a lot to heat and light.
                I like to cook and even decent ingredients from my local butcher and grocer are fairly cheap, I have a fair collection of herbs, spices and flavourings in stock.
                I don't spend that much on clothes as I have a wardrobe full of shirts, trousers, suits etc.

Can I live on £60 a week? Yes easily, would I choose to? Silly question.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  That's why I answered yes. I read the spec and I know what I spend on the items mentioned.

I have a small house (post divorce) that doesn't cost a lot to heat and light.
                  I like to cook and even decent ingredients from my local butcher and grocer are fairly cheap, I have a fair collection of herbs, spices and flavourings in stock.
                  I don't spend that much on clothes as I have a wardrobe full of shirts, trousers, suits etc.

Can I live on £60 a week? Yes easily, would I choose to? Silly question.
                  Well good on ya TykeMerc. Out of interest, how much do you spend on lecky and gas per year ?

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    Well good on ya TykeMerc. Out of interest, how much do you spend on lecky and gas per year ?

Water, TV Lic, Insurance, .....
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

You can just survive on £60 a week. I've done it in the past, and it was a very miserable existence. But clothing? Bills? No. Not really. I was lucky in that I had a good wardrobe already, suits, shoes etc. And I know some of you who know me will be surprised - as my family's not short of a bob or two - but I couldn't bring myself to ask dad for cash.

I ended up reading a book in the library about career counselling - and contacted the author, explained my situation and he was kind enough to meet with me, helped me with the CV, interview techniques etc.

Following his tactics, I scattergunned JobServe, applying for all the relevant (and basic) jobs at once, every day. I got up early, as if I was going into work, and went round to a mate's house who had an internet connection, and tailored my CV to suit every job I applied for, about 40 jobs a day for 3 weeks. It became my new job to apply for jobs and that was the only attitude I could have that would carry me through.

First interview was a success.

I never want to go back to that situation, but if I ever did, I'd waste far less time feeling sorry for myself and get straight into the job of finding a job - without being fussy at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X