• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Golf

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    I've thought about golf but have decided it's something I plan to take up when I'm retired and too old to get any exercise down the gym etc.
    WHS. I'd see it as a bit of a hobby when I'm retired and need a break from Ms Rookie. Probably look to start playing regularly in a few years time though. At the moment would sooner do other sports at the moment than play golf.
    I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

There's two times in your life when it's ok to start playing golf.

3-10 - young enough to be the new Tiger.

45-60 - Once you're retired and need an excuse for a walk.

At all other times, there's far more interesting things to be doing...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Ah golf, my advice is don't take it up as if you like it you will become obsessed to the exclusion of lots of other stuff !
        Lots of new clubs with new attitudes these days and regardless of this you always have a choice to get closely involved or not. Most places are crying out for new members so have had to change a lot of attitudes over selection. I was a member at one place for 3 years, didn't know who the commitee members were, just wanted to play golf.
        It can be a tough learning curve from scratch so I would defo recommend a course of lessons (mate of mine bumped into his cousin about a year after they took up the game, his cousin had lots of lessons and was playing off 14, my sporty mate was still struggling to break 100). Also play with someone patient who is a bit better than you. You will get tips as well as learning all the etiquette, letting people play through etc etc. I would also recommend playing with someone of similar standard as you may well be more comfotable seeing they duff it too.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
          Ah golf, my advice is don't take it up as if you like it you will become obsessed to the exclusion of lots of other stuff !
          Lots of new clubs with new attitudes these days and regardless of this you always have a choice to get closely involved or not. Most places are crying out for new members so have had to change a lot of attitudes over selection. I was a member at one place for 3 years, didn't know who the commitee members were, just wanted to play golf.
          It can be a tough learning curve from scratch so I would defo recommend a course of lessons (mate of mine bumped into his cousin about a year after they took up the game, his cousin had lots of lessons and was playing off 14, my sporty mate was still struggling to break 100). Also play with someone patient who is a bit better than you. You will get tips as well as learning all the etiquette, letting people play through etc etc. I would also recommend playing with someone of similar standard as you may well be more comfotable seeing they duff it too.
          Agree with lots of this. If you ever want to be any good don't start off on the wrong foot. Investing in some lessons will help you avoid getting into bad habits which might be very difficult to eradicate later on. Worth getting hold of some decent self-help manuals after you have been playing for a while too, because if you can work out for yourself what you might be doing wrong it will save you a packet.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I've got a set of ladies golf clubs in the cellar in a lovely lime green and pink golf bag with trolley going cheap (inlcuding beer towels and fake golf club membership cards!)
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
              Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              Agree with lots of this. If you ever want to be any good don't start off on the wrong foot. Investing in some lessons will help you avoid getting into bad habits which might be very difficult to eradicate later on. Worth getting hold of some decent self-help manuals after you have been playing for a while too, because if you can work out for yourself what you might be doing wrong it will save you a packet.
              Thanks guys
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Who was it who said golf is the waste of a good walk?
                The standard reply to a golf question on any forum........
                Blood in your poo

Comment

I play, wastes a good sunday afternoon every now and again

Im not in anyway a pro but I enjoy it

CM, easiest way to begin is to go to the trafford driving range, sign up for a taster course of a few lessons, the staff are friendly and helpful and used to complete novices

in between lessons go there and hire a basket of balls and a 9 iron club and simply try and be consistent in distance and aim (it takes a LOT of practice)

that way you'll get a feel if its your sort of thing or not

there's plenty of public courses around manchester that are turn up, pay and play (once you know the basics from the taster courses)

Actual Golf Membership clubs vary greatly in price, how stuffy and old school they are but almost all nowadays are tolerant of women so it shouldnt be a problem

EDIT: and i second everything Lukemg and shaunboy said, lessons are a good way to get bettr quicker and more importantly reduce the chance of picking up bad habits that will bug you forever if not sorted out early on
                  Last edited by chef; 1 May 2009, 14:57.
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                  X