• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Swine Flu: USA reports first death

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NoddY View Post
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A government official confirmed the first U.S. death from the new H1N1 swine flu on Wednesday, a 23-month-old child who died in Texas.

It is the first death from swine flu reported outside Mexico, the country hardest hit by the influenza outbreak. The official gave no other details on the case. U.S. officials have confirmed 65 cases of swine flu, most of them mild.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...38123420090429
    It will be interesting to see if the 23month old who died in the US was Hispanic, could they have less resistance to the virus than gringos?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      It will be interesting to see if the 23month old who died in the US was Hispanic, could they have less resistance to the virus than gringos?
      That would make a chance from syphilis, eh?

Comment

so lets get this straight a stunning about what 100 people have died of this new killer out of a total global population of erm what about 6 billion so lets see that means that oooh 0.000016% of the human race so far has caught this bug....

you may be suprised to find that i think the add are still heavily stacked against contracting this desease never mind dying from it.

in addition to this we only know about this sort of thing because of increased global communications

if an outbreak of swine flu appeared in the 50, 60 and 70's in Mexico or some other faraway place then I am pretty sure we in the UK would never have heard of it.

it is just scaremongering bobbins which gives the medya the opportunity to trot all sorts of so called experts to give there particularly pointless opinions.

I have sympathy for the people who are dead and dying but hey - they will probably find they are part of a large number of people who will die today/tomorrow/the next day/the next week etc from non natural causes.

I wish everyone would just fe<k off with this popular panic stoking and get back to drinking beer, watching football and shagging birds.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          so lets get this straight a stunning about what 100 people have died of this new killer out of a total global population of erm what about 6 billion so lets see that means that oooh 0.000016% of the human race so far has caught this bug....

you may be suprised to find that i think the add are still heavily stacked against contracting this desease never mind dying from it.

in addition to this we only know about this sort of thing because of increased global communications

if an outbreak of swine flu appeared in the 50, 60 and 70's in Mexico or some other faraway place then I am pretty sure we in the UK would never have heard of it.

it is just scaremongering bobbins which gives the medya the opportunity to trot all sorts of so called experts to give there particularly pointless opinions.

I have sympathy for the people who are dead and dying but hey - they will probably find they are part of a large number of people who will die today/tomorrow/the next day/the next week etc from non natural causes.

I wish everyone would just fe<k off with this popular panic stoking and get back to drinking beer, watching football and shagging birds.

WHS!!!!!!!!!

Comment

death by face mask?
            Cracking band.

Saw them live at Torture Garden (where else ?)
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Dr Colin Fink (Micropathology Ltd) writes roday...

"It does seem strange that it has been associated with a high mortality in Mexico but not so far elsewhere. One has to ask whether the deaths are primary 'flu deaths ( as in the 1919 outbreak which killed fit young people in 3 - 4 days) or whether these deaths are in a group who have suboptimal nutrition and may have had secondary ( or existing) bacterial infections which were the cause of the mortality?
              Another possibility is the presence for more than one strain but still H1N1 . One not very easy for humans to catch except by close contact with pigs, but very pathogenic in humans, and the other far more easily transferred between man and man but much less virulent. If you are a parasite/pathogen, it pays not to kill your host - your chances of genetic persistence (what each species is about) are diminished if you kill the vehicle.
              Most new pathogens which jump species, recognise this maxim and quickly become less virulent within the new species."
              http://www.micropathology.com/about.html

Comment

Working...
              X