• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ghurka Update

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    I'm in total agreement with you SA but here's a question: if someone wearing the uniform in a theatre but not a combatant (i.e., a chaplain or a nurse) does that still count as fighting?
    Oh...didn't read the fighting bit...

No, that's not classed as fighting, obviously.

But I'd class everyone in our armed forces as the same - regardless or what Core they're in, or what position they hold. Same thing to me.
    Last edited by SallyAnne; 27 April 2009, 11:32.
    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
      How does it work out at 5 million like?

The figures are obviously unknown, but once somebody is allowed immigration they can then get entry for all relatives. Then you get people from other countries that fought for us in WWI/II, Korean War, Falklands War etc, who will also seek residence and we cannot refuse them because we have set a precedent.
      This is obviously what HMG are worried about and why they have set fairly strict criteria. They got the figures wrong on 13,000 Poles that turned into 2 million so they are worried about another total miscalculation.

Comment

Cyberman, so am I right in thinking you would deny the ghurkas leave to remain?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
          Then you get people from other countries that fought for us in WWI...
          Are these time travelling immigrants?

The same applies for everyone who has fought for us - if you put your life on the line for this country, or serve this country, you deserve the benefits!
          It's disgusting that in this day and age we're even debating this - there's absolutely nothing to debate!

The government will have already benchmarked so many thousands of places every year for people seeking refuge - they probably always plan ahead to allow so many people in each year. Those places should immediately go to anyone who has ever served this country. End of.
          The pope is a tard.

Comment

The figures are obviously unknown, but once somebody is allowed immigration they can then get entry for all relatives. Then you get people from other countries that fought for us in WWI/II, Korean War, Falklands War etc, who will also seek residence and we cannot refuse them because we have set a precedent.
            This is obviously what HMG are worried about and why they have set fairly strict criteria. They got the figures wrong on 13,000 Poles that turned into 2 million so they are worried about another total miscalculation.
            So you made up the 5 million figure?

To call you as thick as pigtulip is to insult pigs.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
              Are these time travelling immigrants?
              Probably claim back-dated benefits too. Or is that forward dated??

I got angry when I read about it first but then figured, well it's Labor, what do you expect?
              Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                Cyberman, so am I right in thinking you would deny the ghurkas leave to remain?

You obviously did not read my posts properly. I would not deny the needy ones, but we need a proper debate on this before jumping into an open-ended commitment and properly discuss the ramifications because it could open the doors to many millions of people of many other nationalities, under the Human Rights Act. Thank Labour for the HRA !!

Comment

You obviously did not read my posts properly. I would not deny the needy ones, but we need a proper debate on this before jumping into an open-ended commitment and properly discuss the ramifications because it could open the doors to many millions of people of many other nationalities, under the Human Rights Act. Thank Labour for the HRA !!
                  Isn't that what we have now? you sit a test, pass and you can stay, fail and you appeal, sit test again etc......when you fail for the second time, lodge case with the courts stating your human rights are being violated!
                  Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Cyberman

I understand the question around debate entirely but here's the rub. Would you rather (a) have a Somali immigrant here with his family or (b) have someone who has paid tax for n years here with or without their family (note the majority of Gurkha families would be likely to remain in Nepal).

Would be interesting to see the BNP take on this.

Additionally, we might have a larger problem on the horizon with the imminent opening of bucket of instant sunshine in Pakistan. What think thee of that?

Finally - I saw a program over the weekend called UK Border Force of the Immigration people exercising constabulary powers. Is it just me, or does anyone else find this faintly worrying (the powers)? I agree entirely that if people are not meant to be in the country they shouldn't be (and especially wouldn't be bringing their families).

Comment

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
                      Isn't that what we have now? you sit a test, pass and you can stay, fail and you appeal, sit test again etc......when you fail for the second time, lodge case with the courts stating your human rights are being violated!

That's for asylum seekers which are on a case by case basis. People here are saying let in everybody that ever served with us in a war. That potentially opens the door to millions including their relatives with no right to refuse them.

Comment

Working...
                      X