• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car scrapping incentive...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Well if I was looking to buy a brand new car (not that I would as the depreciation is ludicrous) then I'd pick up a wreck for under a hundred to exploit this and then sell my old car privately.
    Then you would get no rebate because you have to own the banger for a year to qualify.

It is only a short term proposal so if you bought the banger now the scheme would have expired before it became eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
      In Germany, you have to have owned the car for a year prior to scrapping it, this closes the loophole the rich could exploit buying a wreck and using it to get £2k of the price of a new Beemer.

However the basic premise remains. If you're driving a 10 year old car, it's generally because you haven't got the money to spend on a new car!

Ans as the promised release of lending from banks has failed to materialise, then credit is no longer an option!
      Correct. I was thinking of getting an old tulip heap and buying a little Fiat 500 for the missus until this was pointed out. However car sales in Germany for the first quarter have lept through the roof, something like 30% above average...
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

My cars more than 10 years old but it aint no banger! yes it probably sends out more co2 than todays car by then my car is made of metal not plastic and will last more than 5 minutes unlike todays rubbish! Also when they factor in the Green aspect how much CO2 did it cost to scrap that 10 year old car and make that new car, when are you all square environmentally? i'd bet it would be something like emm 10 years!

Comment

What percentage of these cars will be built abroad? 90%?

What pecentage of these cars will be built by a car company from abroad? 99.9%?

Germany has a real car industry to prop up, we are just clutching as straws.

Comment

People who drive those bangers are probably the ones who can't afford new car anyway.

Comment

according to the radio (BBC), the German manufacturers weren't that keen on the German scheme - BMW complained.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                BMW complained.
                Quiet, I am sure Bentley, Aston Martin, Rolls-Royce are not thrilled either.

Comment

BTW it is the most utterly crap idea from crapideaville.

Comment

Working...
                  X