• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The UK Banking Bailout

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    Ah ha, a poster with some genuine input. Can you elaborate please?
    The building societies fit neatly into the environment that you have described, the loans are secured and value may eventually return. Most firms borrow, some borrow massively, as the recession bites, some fail , which is a loss to the bank, the banks become cautious, more firms fail. etc
    toxic debts. high risk debts.

Many institutions wrapped their loans/debts into instruments, other institutions bought the instrument without understanding what was in it, these were sold on and traded. Until you know where the trail ends -
    toxic debts.high risk debts.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      Many institutions wrapped their loans/debts into instruments

AAA rated quality assets

Comment

The building societies fit neatly into the environment that you have described, the loans are secured and value may eventually return. Most firms borrow, some borrow massively, as the recession bites, some fail , which is a loss to the bank, the banks become cautious, more firms fail. etc
        toxic debts. high risk debts.

Many institutions wrapped their loans/debts into instruments, other institutions bought the instrument without understanding what was in it, these were sold on and traded. Until you know where the trail ends -
        toxic debts.high risk debts.

I didn't think the nationalised banks were heavily exposed to this type of security.

Link

It is not clear whether RBS has sustained losses. The trading book of its global banking and markets division was worth £16 billion at the half-year, although CDO trading was a small part of this total.
        I thought they were mainly the root cause of this by repackaging their sub-prime lending and it's pension funds and the likes that have lost the real money.
        "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

RBS bought ABM Amro (or whatever it was called) who were heavily active in USA giving loans and credit cards to people who could never repay it, not all of it was secured and even if it was some other credits (morgage) had priority in claims.

The kind of things banks were allowed to do is ridiculous - Lehman Brothers bought yellow cake for uranium enrichment ffs!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            RBS bought ABM Amro (or whatever it was called) who were heavily active in USA giving loans and credit cards to people who could never repay it, not all of it was secured and even if it was some other credits (morgage) had priority in claims.
            If it's an American institute then it's covered by TARP, it's not our problem. I actually wonder just how little of the bailout is to pay off for exposure to US debt.

Linky

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            The kind of things banks were allowed to do is ridiculous - Lehman Brothers bought yellow cake for uranium enrichment ffs!
            Please don't steer the thread off topic, I know how you feel about the banking sector in general.
            "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

Comment

I didn't think the nationalised banks were heavily exposed to this type of security.

Link

I thought they were mainly the root cause of this by repackaging their sub-prime lending and it's pension funds and the likes that have lost the real money.
              maybe, but RBS (and hbos) delved heavily into complex instruments, which was great when they held their value (for co profits and bonuses), but once they became devalued the entire organisation was in trouble.
              Will the share price ever recover ? who knows

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

If it's an American institute then it's covered by TARP, it's not our problem. I actually wonder just how little of the bailout is to pay off for exposure to US debt.
                I am pretty sure TARP does not cover everything (like credit card debts or loans) - it's not that straightforward either.

Comment

Ah ha, a poster with some genuine input. Can you elaborate please?
                  I am deeply wounded
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

maybe, but RBS (and hbos) delved heavily into complex instruments, which was great when they held their value (for co profits and bonuses), but once they became devalued the entire organisation was in trouble.
                    Will the share price ever recover ? who knows

Was that scare not over last October? I thought the market was panicing because that's when the Lehman Brothers credit auction was?

The missus works on the loan desk of one of the yank banks and she always bores me with her tales of how the world is going to end.
                    Last edited by Incognito; 22 April 2009, 14:15.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                      I am deeply wounded
                      Everyone knows the country's broke mate.

Comment

Working...
                      X