• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do I stop smoking?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Ok folks, top tips here please. I'm sick of it. Last time I tried I was an absolute nightmare to be around (apparently).

What's worked for you?
    Do you still get cravings?
    What's keeping you stopped?
    Did you set a date and do it?
    Did you plan, and/or cut down gradually?
    Did you just stop on impulse one day? If so, what was it that gave you such resolve?
    Did you make it public and thus put pressure on yourself, or quit quietly?

Thanks in advance.
    A show of bloody mindedness is required.
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Ok folks, top tips here please. I'm sick of it. Last time I tried I was an absolute nightmare to be around (apparently).

What's worked for you?
      Do you still get cravings?
      What's keeping you stopped?
      Did you set a date and do it?
      Did you plan, and/or cut down gradually?
      Did you just stop on impulse one day? If so, what was it that gave you such resolve?
      Did you make it public and thus put pressure on yourself, or quit quietly?

Thanks in advance.

I used Zyban prescribed by the doctor, 5 years ago
      Yes, mild cravings a couple of times a week
      I hate smoking, its pointless, expensive and wrecks your health, all smokers know this, but are addicts
      Yes, when you start on Zyban you quit after two weeks
      With Zyban yiou just lose the urge to smoke, so its a gradual thing over two weeks
      n/a
      My wife and friends knew, but work collegues notices I was wired due to the drug.

Good luck

Comment

My last fag was 22nd December 1989. I still miss it. Very best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          My last fag was 22nd December 1989. I still miss it. Very best of luck.
          Were you celebrating the Romanian government fall?

http://www.thehistorychannel.co.uk/s...ecember_22.php
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I had the fairly obvious revelation that it was about choices. I could choose to have a cigarette, or buy cigarettes, or I could choose not to. It may be a hard choice that you have to make frequently, but it is still a choice. You as an individual are greater than the cravings created in your brain.

For the last two years, I have usually chosen not to have a cigarette, but I still have maybe 10 a year.

Also, I found that smoking in response to a craving generated a sense of self-loathing that I could replicate by posting on CUK, which created a feeling that I could associate with smoking. The cravings have gone now, so I don't post here as often.

Comment

Caveat Emptor for those who may be thinking of using nicotine replacement prodcuts :

Nicotine chewing gum, lozenges and inhalers designed to help people to give up smoking may have the potential to cause cancer, research has suggested.

Scientists have discovered a link between mouth cancer and exposure to nicotine, which may indicate that using oral nicotine replacement therapies for long periods could contribute to a raised risk of the disease. A study funded by the Medical Research Council, led by Muy-Teck Teh, of Queen Mary, University of London, has found that the effects of a genetic mutation that is common in mouth cancer can be worsened by nicotine in the levels that are typically found in smoking cessation products.

The results raise the prospect that nicotine, the addictive chemical in tobacco, may be more carcinogenic than had previously been appreciated. “Although we acknowledge the importance of encouraging people to quit smoking, our research suggests nicotine found in lozenges and chewing gums may increase the risk of mouth cancer,” Dr Teh said. “Smoking is of course far more dangerous, and people who are using nicotine replacement to give up should continue to use it and consult their GPs if they are concerned. The important message is not to overuse it, and to follow advice on the packet.”

Most nicotine replacement products have labels advising people to cut down after three months of use and to stop completely after six months.

Comment

Oh bollocks.

AJP - linky?

Comment

Oh bollocks.

AJP - linky?
                  As you asked - http://www.sindhtoday.net/health/89864.htm

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                    Thanking yew kindly sir.

Comment