• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speed limits to be lowered to increase indirect taxation revenues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of roads in residential areas in Germany are only 30 kmh and the one I live in is in fact 7 kmh (walking speed.) I think 20 mph is fast enough for many residential areas, particularly where there are many families and children.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      A lot of roads in residential areas in Germany are only 30 kmh and the one I live in is in fact 7 kmh (walking speed.) I think 20 mph is fast enough for many residential areas, particularly where there are many families and children.
      Trouble is if you make residential roads too safe then pedestrians and cyclists on those will become blase and take traffic safety for granted, which might increase the risk to them of traffic on faster roads.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

But what everyone seems to be missing here is that road accidents are good for the economy.
        "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
        "See?"

Comment

From the Daily Mash....

IN a dual bid to reinvigorate the car industry and reduce road deaths, UK engineers are being given a £100m grant to perfect the world's first rubber car.

Ministers said developing a vehicle in which every single component is made from very soft rubber would help Britain retain its valuable bad car making skills.

Tom Logan an engineer from Coventry who has been working on a very wobbly Jaguar XJ, said: "The early prototypes have been wonderfully impractical.

"It takes about 20 minutes to come to a complete halt and the inside of it is absolutely covered in vomit."

Rubber car technology was first tested during world war two as an offshoot from the bouncing bomb project, but was abandoned after four troops were catapulted into occupied France after a collision in Dover.

But ministers insist they can be used as an alternative to lowering speed limits after research showed that 80% of drivers 'bought a car with more than two fricking gears for a reason, thank you very much'.

Last week Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson test drove a prototype before deploying a traditional metaphor which left everyone deeply confused about whether he liked it or not. Clarkson added: "If this car was my genitals, I'd have an enormous rubber scrotum."

A child safety campaign highlighting the benefits has also been launched with the slogan: "Hit me at 30mph and you’ll go 'boing'. Hit me at 40mph and you'll go 'booooooiiiiiinnnnng'."

Comment

Working...
          X