• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract signed but terminated before start

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    They even forwarded me the emails from Enron to show they weren't fibbing. In those days contractors with my skillset were greatly in demand, and agencies hadn't all been taken over by dodgy second-hand car salesmen.

IMO agencies have always been sharks.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

IMO agencies have always been sharks.
      I'm seeing lots of jobs advertised for recruitment agents. WTF is that all about???

Have too many rats deserted the sinking ship?
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Proper Stitch up

Esteemed colleagues; I am new to this site and quite new to contracting so bear with me pu-leese. Colleague and I had our 3 month contracts extended 2 weeks ago for one year which was a pleasant and joyful surprise. All duly signed off between my company and my agency. However it seems the client firm never had any intention of honouring this contract and it was created as a ruse so that the IT department - told to make cut backs in staff numbers - could then say OK - here are 2 headcounts (contracts for one year) - which we'll now cancel - to save permies from getting the chop. Creative accounting if you will - thereby not actually reducing their headcount at all. So here now till possibly end of May - and working away as faithfully as ever of course.
        Don't get me wrong now; I'm a contractor - 'dis is da life we have chosen'; but does this not constitute a fraudulent and specifically a Major Breach of Contract?? It's not as if anything's changed per se - we have been put up for slaughter, lied to and betrayed. Encouraged to take some leave now that we have a year (by line managers not in the know) purchasing bottles of Krug on signing etc etc. Worth suing for? I thank you!

Comment

Working...
        X