• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Superfast rural broadband may cost taxpayer £1bn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    The story is a pile of mince ..

"substantial cash investment to avoid a situation where only half the country is easily able to download film and television programmes."

Yes, of course watching Eastenders on iPlayer is a massive concern to the rural polulation.
    It is possible to stream TV down the phonelines, I had this service in London for the past few years.

If all TV was broadcast down the phone that could free up the airways for another huge sell-off.

Comment

Yes, of course watching Eastenders on iPlayer is a massive concern to the rural polulation.
      That may well be. Compared with much bigger sums paid to banks I think investment in fast broadband is not only small by comparison but also far more valuable.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        That may well be. Compared with much bigger sums paid to banks I think investment in fast broadband is not only small by comparison but also far more valuable.
        Kind of stinks of "I just spent 500 quid in the bookies so 5 quid on a pint of milk is nothing"

Super fast broadband is not going to do any economic improvement, if you want to do something of value for the rural economy abolish inheritance tax so that families can live in the house their parents leave. Allow them to fox hunt again, not have Gaylord promise them the carrot of broadband for their votes.

Comment

Super fast broadband is not going to do any economic improvement
          One of the reasons people might not want to live in rural areas is lack of high speed broadband - it's a must these days, so not having it there (and companies won't invest due to low demand right now) pretty much dooms them.

If a hotel in rural area can't provide high speed broadband to business guests, then just how good is it for business?

£1 bln is nothing considering it will bring good stuff for 20-30 years, that's £30 mln per year - very low price.

Comment

One of the reasons people might not want to live in rural areas is lack of high speed broadband - it's a must these days, so not having it there (and companies won't invest due to low demand right now) pretty much dooms them.

If a hotel in rural area can't provide high speed broadband to business guests, then just how good is it for business?

£1 bln is nothing considering it will bring good stuff for 20-30 years, that's £30 mln per year - very low price.
            Bollocks.

I grew up on an Island, you had to walk a mile to get to a phone. I never noticed anyone say 'I am going to move to a city so I can get a phone line in'.

It is another step in the 'townies' tell the country how they should exist.

Comment

It might be bollocks for you, but personally I never move house before I check that my preferred ISP is present in that area.

There are enough people in country side who want to get faster broadband, ADSL2 does not help there much because of distances, so laying down fiber is really the only way.

High speed Net coverage should be as good as TV.

Comment

I thought folk moved to the country for a more relaxed pace of life?

Ridiculous
                'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
                  I thought folk moved to the country for a more relaxed pace of life?

Ridiculous
                  Yeah. One of the attractions might be a lack of high speed broadband, and all the things and people that go with it!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Yeah. One of the attractions might be a lack of high speed broadband, and all the things and people that go with it!
                    If you don't want high speed broadband or TV you don't get it - it's your personal choice and you can exercise it even in cities. However when you DO want high speed broadband in rural areas you don't have a good choice right now and never will unless it's subsidised in some way.

£1 bln over 20 years is £50 mln per month, there are far more expensive and useless projects funded by the taxpayer.

Comment

It might be bollocks for you, but personally I never move house before I check that my preferred ISP is present in that area.

There are enough people in country side who want to get faster broadband, ADSL2 does not help there much because of distances, so laying down fiber is really the only way.

High speed Net coverage should be as good as TV.
                      It's all very noble but it would cost millions upon millions to even cover the island where I grew up, we got our papers at 10 when the ferry came in and milk was delivered in bags, there was never a desire to move to the mainland so I am not so sure why mandelson has this "You will have broadband" thinking comes from. Votes probably.

Comment

Working...
                      X