• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm turning into Wilmslow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I know she is a business, and was within her rights, but was it prudent to do so, and how many of you would look for somewhere else to stay?
    Ideally you should have voiced your feelings during the initial conversation.

Given that this didn't happen, why not have a chat with her now and discuss your concerns? Your post suggests that you believe she should offered not to charge for the night you didn't stay, so use her response to make the decision on where you'll be staying next.

Feedback is invaluable to any business - if one of my clients was considering heading to another supplier, I'd be grateful to them if they took the time to discuss their concerns and allow me to take remedial action if I felt it appropriate.

Comment

blah blah blah
      Basically "she" was within her rights to charge you.......

If you choose not to go back (and she notices/cares) - she may decide that her decision to charge you for a single night that you didn't "use" was a mistake......

If she never notices/cares then she will continue to be happy with her decision......

The Landlord is within his rights....... If he realises that he is losing the profits on £30 per night he may also decide that his decision was not profitable... but if a load more punters start to use the pub regularly now that "that *rsehole who was always arguing about the football and thought he owned the stool in the corner of the bar" doesn't come in any more the Landlord may decide its the best decision he ever made!

They are making Business decisions and have to live by the consequences......

I dunno about Wilmslowesque but its pretty unimportant and trivial - Shirley your wife is more important than the few quid expenses......

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
        Shirley your wife is more important than the few quid expenses......
        Reading these boards I often wonder... people seem to go to so much trouble to save £30

Comment

My guess, based on the OP's posts (always about pifling amounts of money), is that he stays in this guesthouse cos it's dirt cheap. If he moves he will pay more.

Comment

I know she is a business, and was within her rights, but was it prudent to do so, and how many of you would look for somewhere else to stay?
            Your short-term cancellation had cost her the opportunity to book the room out to someone else (regardless of the relationship you have with her as a regular customer). Why should she fork the cost because of your family issues? Sympathies with your wife's health scare and stuff, but when it comes to business, nobody cares about personal circumstances. Pay up and take the hit.
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
              My guess, based on the OP's posts (always about pifling amounts of money), is that he stays in this guesthouse cos it's dirt cheap. If he moves he will pay more.
              I equate you to the Harry Enfield "loadsa money" character, waving wads of cash in peoples faces.

The post was not about the money, but thanks for obsessing. The post was about making smart business decisions and being in the hospitality trade. I really shouldn't have to explain this but your ignorance amuses me.

HTH
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                Your short-term cancellation had cost her the opportunity to book the room out to someone else (regardless of the relationship you have with her as a regular customer). Why should she fork the cost because of your family issues? Sympathies with your wife's health scare and stuff, but when it comes to business, nobody cares about personal circumstances. Pay up and take the hit.
                And another one.

I am a long term booking. Dont p*ss off the long term bookings by playing it by the book, rather exercise some discretion and build your reputation and client base.

Comment

Why don't you offer to split the difference with her?

Explain you're sorry for the wasted night but you'd rather continue to use her B&B than have to search for another.

Comment

Listen - you were not even sick. Your day off was discretionary, WTF should others be paying for it. Are you billing the client that day?

Forgeting the money side, now focusing on business: The lady is in business and presumes that you are also in business. She will expect to charge the cost of the room, as she could not re-hire it due to short notice. She will also expect you as a businessman to know this and be expecting to pay up. So grow up and stop expecting others to pay for your digressions.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                      Listen - you were not even sick. Your day off was discretionary, WTF should others be paying for it. Are you billing the client that day?

Forgeting the money side, now focusing on business: The lady is in business and presumes that you are also in business. She will expect to charge the cost of the room, as she could not re-hire it due to short notice. She will also expect you as a businessman to know this and be expecting to pay up. So grow up and stop expecting others to pay for your digressions.
                      As you point out, she is in business and so am I. I was on a gig, and the client had a problem and had to shut the building for the day I may not charge them for the day off, as this would be a gesture. I would not do this if it was a short term gig obviously, but pissing off a long term gig would not be good business sense.

Why do you fail to grasp the simple point.

Yes she was right to do so.

Was it wise to do so or should she have exercised a little discretion?

I think the point here is that she had the opportunity to exercise some intelligence and didn't. IMO this is poor business sense. This kind of "no friends in business mentality" is not for me.

I have clients who bring their machines to me to de-ming from viruses and so forth. Let's say the person had their machine trashed by their wayward teenager and could do without the expense (we're on the bread line, or had some kind of bereavement etc etc) I can bill them for an hours time, or say, look seeing as your a good customer and could do without this, lets call it quits this time.

They go away thinking "blimey nice bloke" and tell all their friends. Then the next time their pc is on the bench I can lump a bit on and recoup the expense.

Comment

Working...
                      X